Question Slow internet only on one PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
To start out I have 1Gbps fiber internet. I was getting full 1gbps on my computer up until the last windows update. I tried to roll it back, did not good my issue. I updated drivers, did not work. I can not get above 500 Mbps, it will normally sit in the low 400's. 3 other computers and 3 laptops tested get the full 1Gbps. Yes I am wired directly to the router. Out of desperation I have tried unplugging every computer, switch, ect and I shut the wifi off so that I am the only PC plugged in, and no change. I bought a 1Gb pci-e nic thinking my onboard nic was failing. No change. I can reach over to my wife's PC sitting right next to me and get 1Gbps Everytime no problem. Even can pull over 700 Mbps on the wifi. I love MU-MIMO 4x4. But like I said this is a wired PC not getting full speed.

Also just before writing this, I went to safe mode with networking. Same problem. I thought something might have been somehow running that was slowing me down. I tried every port, and changing my IP to the router, since I normally run static for port forwarding.

I updated the firmware on the router, but I don't think it is the router since my wife's PC which is behind a switch behind the router and she can get the full 1Gbps. And I can't. I even tried moving to that switch. No change.... I did try a netsh reset

Any ideas please help .....

Intel 8700k
32GB DDR4 running at 3000Mhz
MSI Z370-A pro
Xfinity fiber modem to nighthawk X10 router CAT 5e to pc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Okay just learned it appears to be the router. just went on to the netgear forums and there are others complaining about this issue, but it's only those of us that have fast internet that even detect it. most people do not have 1Gbps internet so they would not notice. because now today, every computer is acting the same, including my work surface that i have never had on the network, i use a usb 3.1 to gigabit Ethernet and it is doing the same thing. so i am going to factory restore the router, or if i must, go use dd-wrt

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
yeah so i just did something that makes no since. the same comptuer i am having my issues with seams to not be the only one, but 3 of my windows computers are now doing it. BUT i just side loaded Linux on to this PC and well it is getting the full speed no problem..... i wounder if something is not talking right with the router and windows. this is the same PC i have been testing with all week. only difference is i am in Linux instead of windows. i did do MULTIPLE test from differant sorces to confirm.

IfICZWS.png

Well if it makes any difference to you, I dropped Netgear for tp-link 2 years ago and have never been happier, although that was mainly due to the Netgears not lasting and having less than stellar wireless signal/speed. Never had a problem with the wired connection, when they were working. The first Netgear wirelss router I had lasted over 5 years, so they have definitely gone down hill IMO.

OP, I am not sure why you are making this hard - plug the questionable PC directly into the modem and test your speed. That should tell you right off if it's the router or your computer.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
OP, I am not sure why you are making this hard - plug the questionable PC directly into the modem and test your speed. That should tell you right off if it's the router or your computer.
Not making anything hard, I am plugged directly in. this PC is is the same desk as the modem and router. it has always been plugged in. and even 4 new CAT5e cables just because i kept trying to find a reason. i think you skimmed through. the wireless posts info was just to add additional info, and honestly right now i can get faster speeds over wireless 5G then i can over ethernet. which is just backwards. not this PC being wireless, but using my cell phone on it get's more speed then the PC was what i was talking about.

But after new testing, after the other computers have updated, the issue is spreading. i can boot all of them into linux they work perfect. but not in windows, and it won't let me remove this latest update, like normally you can. which is why i am so frustrated.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Um, I read all your posts and I never saw you mention plugging a computer directly into the modem. Every post I see mentions connection through the router.

Because with the CM1000 that is not as easy as just plug and play, as it stores MAC addresses and they have to be cleared to change to a PC or back to the router. However, the router can run speed tests and the router tests 960Mbps, close enough. Besides, I have proved I can get the full speed on the computer in Linux. So plugging into the modem would prove nothing. Nor provide more information. If I can boot the exact same computer into Linux and get just under the 1Gbps 960-980, then we know there is no limitation to the computer. The second I reset the computer back into windows, Max speed I can pull it about 500-580, my average is less then 400 and real data is even slower only downloading around 5MB/s or ~40Mbps. Linux on the same machine, with a bottle neck of running on a 3.0 USB thumb drive, and I can get full speeds and downloads of real data at 120MB/s or ~ 960Mbps. So what are you trying to prove it disprove????

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
There is something in the windows 1903 update that has now caused this problem on all 4 of my windows computers. My two on Linux work perfectly fine, even the one in a worst case connection that goes from modem, 8 port switch, upstairs, to another 8 port switch, then to the computer, basically a media system, that one still gets the full 1Gbps. It's only the windows computers after they updated. I did remove the updates, everything it installed in August, but the issue is stuck. Just to add even more, my work laptop just got the update and I took that to work with me and connected onto my 10Gbps network, obviously limited to 1Gbps for my lan port and it has the same exact symptoms now. And that's a completely different network. Since I use a different ISP for my home service, it even rules that out. It's something in the update.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Well this is interesting. It's Google chrome. If I open up Microsoft edge, never tried because I hate edge but just for some reason never thought about it until today. But in edge, it shows 1Gb using fast. Com and allowing it 12-64 threads. Also I opened up task manager, and when chrome runs it is pulling 980Mbps but it only shows 300-400 at most. I reset chrome entirely disabling all extensions and still didn't change. But at least I know that my hardware and pc are working just chrome being stupid.