Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
To start out I have 1Gbps fiber internet. I was getting full 1gbps on my computer up until the last windows update. I tried to roll it back, did not good my issue. I updated drivers, did not work. I can not get above 500 Mbps, it will normally sit in the low 400's. 3 other computers and 3 laptops tested get the full 1Gbps. Yes I am wired directly to the router. Out of desperation I have tried unplugging every computer, switch, ect and I shut the wifi off so that I am the only PC plugged in, and no change. I bought a 1Gb pci-e nic thinking my onboard nic was failing. No change. I can reach over to my wife's PC sitting right next to me and get 1Gbps Everytime no problem. Even can pull over 700 Mbps on the wifi. I love MU-MIMO 4x4. But like I said this is a wired PC not getting full speed.

Also just before writing this, I went to safe mode with networking. Same problem. I thought something might have been somehow running that was slowing me down. I tried every port, and changing my IP to the router, since I normally run static for port forwarding.

I updated the firmware on the router, but I don't think it is the router since my wife's PC which is behind a switch behind the router and she can get the full 1Gbps. And I can't. I even tried moving to that switch. No change.... I did try a netsh reset

Any ideas please help .....

Intel 8700k
32GB DDR4 running at 3000Mhz
MSI Z370-A pro
Xfinity fiber modem to nighthawk X10 router CAT 5e to pc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
okay so i had Vers 2.2 i am now at the latest 2.9. has some better memory OC and CPU OC. so the 8700k is now running at 4.5GHz with the MSI OC enabled. and the 32 GB DDR4 is now running at 3200 MHz. I also updated the chipset from MSI and the LAN Driver was yet again a newer version. so i updated that as well.

I am finding something very weird. when i run normal speedtest like fast.com i get 550-570 Mbps, comcast 425 Mbps, ect. BUT when i use an HTML5 tester like speedof.me i get 30-40 Mpbs I ran that on the wifes because i was like WTF, and hers got 597-625 Mbps, and i tested with my phone on the WiFi just because i was curios, and got 508 Mbps. also i am only talking about my downloads, because uploads speed is NOT effected. I tried the best speed tester that i have never seen congested which is the dslreports site. wife's PC perfect 954-972 Mbps. My PC surprisingly hit 608 Mbps. okay time for real world. 1 GB file with no restriction on other server, private 10GB server from my work that is only using about 200Mbps right now. and i get a pitiful ~6.05 MBps or ~48Mbps which seams to be inline with an HTML5 test using real data. and that was the top. it dropped from there setteling down to 4.5MB 36Mbps.

I am at a real lost here. PC is less then a year old and was just fine less then a month ago. i only noticed the issue when we bought Madden NFL 20 for 4 of us and the fasted i got, even way after the other computers were done was 6MBps or ~45-50 Mbps. mean while all the others shared the 1Gbps pretty even. when it was just 2 downloading at first they where EACH going at ~40MBps or 320Mbps each then i was sitting at the 6. so yeah, then they where done and waiting on me i thought i would speed up after they where done, NOOO i had to sit and wait forever, even though i have freaking Fiber. while waiting i went to the spare PC and downloaded it there and it finnished befer my pc did and it was started 20 min after words...... it was able to hit 75MBps

any other idea to try or am i SOL short of buying a new MOBO which currently i don't have the money for.

while waiting i will try one more thing i just thought of. i will use a boot usb boot into linux and see if i can get anything different i will post back shortly.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
vOuNeop.png

Cro2b1l.png

Back in Windows 10 and i get crap
Xjj2ue0.jpg

Last edited:

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
PC with issues

C:\Users\Justin>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-NLOV16U
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 5:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 50-3E-AA-0D-6F-3A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 30-9C-23-85-E5-5E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.25(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TeamViewer VPN Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-F2-E4-80-80

C:\Users\Justin>

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Wife's PC

C:\Users\Princess Nichole PC>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-7SJHU45
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-DF-98-7F-A7

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-31-BF-B8-28-08
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::187:accf:82bb:c78b%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 404238783
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-45-27-59-18-31-BF-B8-28-08
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\Princess Nichole PC>

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Why are DNS servers statically assigned differently? Try changing your tcpip settings to dynamic on the problematic computer:
https://pureinfotech.com/change-static-dynamic-ip-address-windows-10/

I have tried that just to test, one of the first things, and that has no effect. I have to leave them static because of games, servers, my PC i run an FTP server for myself to move files faster, among other uses. the DNS is differant only because i have hers set to OpenDNS and i wanted to test 1.1.1.1 but i also changed the DNS to Auto when i put the IP to Auto. that is not the issue. i even unpluged my pc and used a laptop to static to my .25 ip and that gets full GIG. also when i tested in Linux, i used my static as well. I only have very few Dynamic IPs open, reason why i had to test with unplugging everything and shutting off the WiFi to double check no other activity. i have a whole lot going on in the house.

Remove the overclock and confirm that the speed is the same at stock speed.

I checked that, no change. turned off XMP and MSI OC. just a side note, i have never manually OC'd the PC i have only ever let the MOBO do it since i figured it knows what is safe...

I also tried to go into safemode with networking..... still slow. 320-380. i know the hardware is all working perfect because running Linux on a USB it works just fine, full 1Gbps speeds. whatever Microsoft did in that update changed something. and i can't remove that update, unless there is a way that i do not know how.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Have you tried downloading the latest nic drivers from the Realtek site?
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

I downloaded the latest Windows driver from there and it said that i already have the latest driver installed. I downloaded the driver from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10 64 in an earlier attempt to fix this issue. I just find this amazing, even buying a PCI-E NIC card, and with it's most current drivers, I get the EXACT same issue with speed. and i know some people think that 450 is plenty, which it would be if that was real data. my real data speeds are WAY slower. that is just what a speed test can say. real Data seams to be capped at about 50Mbps. which is pathetic since i have 1Gbps internet.

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
i am honestly thinking about a complete OS wipe. the 3 other windows 10 PC's got the update and are fine. my hardware works when i run booted from a linux USB, so i know that the hardware is fine. there is something wrong with the OS it's self. i might first try to just do a recovery and let it attempt to fix it's self, but i am thinking it may need a fresh install. this is strange because this PC is only about 7 months old. also when working fine in linux, that was still with the system OC'd by the BIOS. so that is not it. is there anyone here that maybe know the software to the extent that i might be able to find something that is wrong in there? and i did try safe mode with networking to make sure everything else on the pc was not running. there is something corrupt in windows causing this.

Edit:
I see a common issue with the 1903 update and Microsoft say to try a network reset, i have done most of the steps there, but i will fully do that and post back once I get home from work and give it a quick try. they also mentioned safe mode, already did that, and clean boot, which i can try as well i am almost a clean boot anyways, i only allow about 4 or 5 things to auto start.

Last edited:

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Have you tried disabling antivirus and windows firewall?

I leave my firewall off 24/7 and the only antivirus is windows defender

Also in the screen shot it looks like you are using different browsers. Did you say you tried safe-mode with networking to run the tests?
Those screen shots are because one is in windows 10 and the other is a USB boot drive with POP OS Linux on it. and yes i have tried other browsers but it's not just that. it's the bandwidth period. i used Epic games to test, in Linux full speed 120MB/s which is 960Mbps back in windows 5 min later, topped out at 6.2MB/s which is ~50Mbps. all REAL data test are MUCh slower then the speed tests. even though i can get 300-450 Mbps in a speed test, i can not download REAL data more then ~50Mbps. i used speedof.me because it uses HTML5 Data and not flash

here is a screen shot of that.
hBIJQo3.jpg

Q27ZxDw.jpg

AYVpGW0.jpg

Last edited:

Justin_53

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
so i decided to DOUBLE check the QOS was turned off in my router, but while i was in there i made the router take a speed test. full speed in there. i am trying a few options just to play around but not getting to far

3YeDpxL.jpg

TRENDING THREADS