Question SLOW internet service (paying for 75MB/s)

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
So, I was downloading a steam game and it was going to take like over 6 hrs. This is not really anything new but I am at the point where I am tired of downloads taking so long. I checked my internet speed on my pc and I got about 10mb/s so I thought maybe my connection in the room was poor for some reason. I then tried my gf's laptop, plugged it directly into the router and she wasn't getting any internet... So I then tried a speed test on my phone and I did get a couple times it reaching 40mb/s but mostly I have seen 20 mb/s or slower.

We are paying nearly $80 a month for 75 mb's and am only getting basically less than a third of that.. Oh, and our network usage has nearly been doubled within the last couple of months. We are allotted 1 TB per month and we have been using all of it for seemingly no reason.. So, my question is is this normal, and should I be concerned about my wifi's security with so much data usage?

It would be best to visit the router configuration webpage to change the password, disconnect all devices and reconnect your devices. Also, make sure if it has any bandwidth controls that they are not set to limit your internet speed. (Like netgear QoS)

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
hmm QoS is off, I have in the last couple of weeks changed the ssid and password that did not show any change really. I do have wps enabled through a pin number though. As I look at the devices connected to the router they all seem to be familiar. I did mess with denial of service protection on there and as far as my steam download it tripled, maybe even quadrupled in speed since I enabled denial of service protection. Coincidence or a bad sign of something?

D

Deleted member 14196

I would contact your ISP and have a technician come out and find out why your speeds aren’t right

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
yea i will call tomorrow.. just annoying after I thought the speeds improved they are worse now than ever at about 5mb/s.. there is only one show streaming right now I paused my download.. and the amount of data usage seriously went from us using 500 gigs in january to 1000 gigs in the months since. we did get a new roomate in january but when we talk to him he acts clueless..

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Make sure you're not mixing up bits and bytes. 1 byte = 8 bits. MB means megabyte, Mb means megabit. Most ISPs and speed tests list their speed in Mb/s, Steam shows download speed in MB/s. So if Steam is showing 20 MB/s that's 160 Mb/s.

Last edited:

w1418826

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
ive just been messing with router settings. I was using speedtest and that was showing me 5mb/s. steam was only getting like 400kb/s prior to putting on dos protection. I turned dos protection off and that is when speedtest started showing 5mb/s download. so i just turned dos protection back on and the latest test showed 25 mb/s.. really weird...