Slow internet speed, Virgin Media UK

Matt Dower

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Hello Everyone,

I've had a problem with my internet being so slow for a few weeks now. My ISP is virgin media in the UK and I'm on 30mb package with the TV.
I've got the virgin media Super Hub 2 in my living room and a wire that goes outside the house into my garage where it connects to a second Belkin N Wiresless router F5D8233-4V3, that I used to connect to my 2 computers and xbox. On this router only the security and modem lights are on.
My family also use multiple laptops and iPhones on wireless and they get the same slow speed.

My computer specs are:
Intel i5-4670k
MSI Z87-G45 gaming motherboard, running latest bios v1.9 and drivers
12GB ram
2 x R9-290s in crossfire
Windows 7 ultimate x64 bit.

I'm using a wired ethernet (cat6) cable to my motherboard ethernet port.
The full network map is:
[Super HUB 2] ---cat5e---> [Belkin N Router] ---cat6---> [PC]

The superhub 2 has 4 ethernet ports and a lan port, and the belkin router is the same. The ethernet cable from the super hub 2 goes into the modem port of the Belkin Router.

I've checked all my network drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled them. But i'm getting the problem on all my devices not just my PC.

We recently upgraded to the super hub 2 and 30mb package because our other router (super hub 1) kept cutting out, and our internet was slow.
Now this was great for about a week I was getting 94/mbps download and 6mbps upload on the speed test. I was downloading around 10mb/s.

Now one day my router was messing up so I turned it off, unplugged it for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Then I was only getting 6mbp/s download and the same 6mbps upload, donwload speed is max 300kb/s which is unusable!

I called up virgin media and the guy changed some settings on his end and reset the router and it went back up to 94mbp/s and 6mbp/s upload which was great.
However whenever I reset the router then the slow speed would return again when it came back on, and the only way to get it back up to full speed is to call virgin media and get them to do something their end on the phone.

Of course this wasn't good enough so I got a virgin media engineer to come over and he switched my virgin super hub and ran the speed test again, and I was getting the full speed again, and he left.
However the problem still persists and I'm still on slow speed as I've had to restart my router due to a power cut.

Virgin media say that all their equipment is working correctly and its some of my own hardware. Therefore I changed all my cat5e to cat6 cable, apart from the cable that runs outside into my garage.

However I'm convinced that it isn't the wiring or any equipment I've provided because all my wireless devices (which are connected to the superhub 2 not the second slave router) are getting slow speed too.
And it's obvious that I can achieve full speed because when I call up virgin media they change some settings and reboot it, but I can't be doing this every time I need to restart my router!

I'm convinced it some software/setting issue or something is bottlenecking my speed.

I've run the test in chrome and internet explorer and its both the same.

Shall I just get rid of the virgin media router and get my own router/modem, if so which one, I've got around £100 budget.

I'd appreciate any help from you guys!

Solution
Well you can count out the previous advice, while I was researching compatible cable modems for Virgin in the UK I found that you are required to use the cable modem they supply. In the US I purchased my own modem to use on two different ISP's. I'm afraid I might have just wasted your time with my first answer.

dekertek

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
I would absolutely try to purchase your own cable modem. It seems like the current modem isn't saving its boot file after restarting. I just learned 2 months ago that the boot file differs from modem firmware, in that it is responsible for setting the modem to the speed of your plan. They are probably pushing the modem a new boot file when you call and it is losing it after you cut the power. Cable modems are not very expensive and it might save you some headaches to give it a try.

Matt Dower

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply!
Okay that seems to make sense, I didn't know the firmware and boot file were different!

Which modem do you think I should get? Ideally I'd want a router/modem combo!

Thanks

dekertek

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Well you can count out the previous advice, while I was researching compatible cable modems for Virgin in the UK I found that you are required to use the cable modem they supply. In the US I purchased my own modem to use on two different ISP's. I'm afraid I might have just wasted your time with my first answer.

Solution

Matt Dower

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
No you haven't it has helped.
What I've done is put my superhub 2 in modem mode and using my belkin router as the main router and it seems to have fixed my speed issue! I'm now getting 94mb/s download speed again!
However my belkin router isn't out putting any wireless and I can't access the online setting page so now I've got another problem to solve!

TRENDING THREADS