Slow internet speed with Sky fibre up to 76mbps

iraman97

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi to everyone,

I recently upgraded my line with sky from 38mbps to 76mbps.
In my house I have a laptop and a pc desktop. In my laptop the speed is as it should which is always around 71mbps but the desktop is not, the speed is always below 20mbps. At first I thought it is because of the wifi-adapter so I bought a new one but sthe speed did not change and to be honest its even worse. The router is 1m from the pc.

These are the specs of my desktop:
Mobo : Asrock Fatality H87 Performance
CPU: intel i5-4570 3.2ghz
Ram: 2*4gb gSkill 1600mhz
Wifi-adapter: Tp-Link 300mbps.
SO: Windows 10 Pro

iraman97

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

unfortunately I cant get with the cable.
I know that the card is 2.4ghz as is written on the box. About the router not sure.

USAFRet

Titan

1 meter.
Why not a cable?

iraman97

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

The pc is in my room, while the router is in living room and there is a little wall.

USAFRet

Titan

Creative wiring, with color matched Cat5e...no one will even notice.
And that wall may be your issue.

You should find out if your laptop is currently on 2.4 or 5 ghz. If it is on 5 Ghz and the desktop is on 2.4 Ghz. You could be getting radio interference in the 2.4 Ghz range.

As for the cable. Drill a hole in the wall and put a cable through. If you want to be clean about it. Make a short cable with keystone jacks on both sides. Then mount them on wall plates on each side. So, it looks like a clean network jack. Although a bigger initial hole. You can go even fancier with 1 Gang electrical boxes to mount the wall plates to.

iraman97

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017

I can't drill as I am renting the house.
I looked at the router setting and it seems to support both the frequency, 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
I also noticed that the upload speed is as it should be in both devices which is around 20mbps.