[SOLVED] Slow internet speed

Jul 27, 2021
So after I installed a new router I noticed that my internet speed was the same (around 89 -98 mbps ) tested on speedtest.... is this normal?? Im currently paying for 1gig and cant even get 3 digits I tried restarting router and modem, chaging internet cable but nothing works Im connected with a cat 6 cable and get the same speed on my phone (s21 ultra ) the thing is that when I do the speed test on the at&t gateway and run the speedtest there it say 970-980 but when I run it from any other device I get less than 100 (around the 80mbps 90mbps) and I can notice it on online games too ping been going up a lot recently like 15 ping 20 ping higher than usual and is super annoying cause Im not even close to the server
https://www.speedtest.net/result/11824717370

Solution
cat 6 on both from the modem to router and from the router to my pc
router: netgear xr1000 modem: BGW210
ran a speed test on my router's gateway and is around 600-700 but when I do a speed test on speedtest.com (on my pc) or any other website I get less than 100 on every single device
By default a BGW210 is a router. Do you have it configured in bridge mode?
That XR1000 has "optimizations" for gaming. Those will often slow other traffic. With gigabit WAN connectivity, most of the gaming optimizations are not required.
Jul 27, 2021
Cat 6 cable from the at&t modem to the router?
what are the modem and router model?
ran a speed test on my router's gateway and is around 600-700 but when I do a speed test on speedtest.com (on my pc) or any other website I get less than 100 on every single device

kanewolf

Titan
That XR1000 has "optimizations" for gaming. Those will often slow other traffic. With gigabit WAN connectivity, most of the gaming optimizations are not required.

Solution
Jul 27, 2021
I just configured the "ip passthrough" in the BGW210 since it doesn't have a DMZ/Bridgemode option

Jul 27, 2021
tried the at&t modem/router and I get 600mbps upload and download is there a way I get that while connected to the XR1000? its so weird cause I get more mbps with the at&t modem but more ping and I get less speed with the router but less ping I got the router cause I was having issues with the at&t router/modem getting packet loss etc and they said everything was fine on their end

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
tried the at&t modem/router and I get 600mbps upload and download is there a way I get that while connected to the XR1000? its so weird cause I get more mbps with the at&t modem but more ping and I get less speed with the router but less ping I got the router cause I was having issues with the at&t router/modem getting packet loss etc and they said everything was fine on their end
If you use the AT&T unit in IP pass through you should verify that your Netgear has a public IP address.
What benefit are you trying to get from the Netgear ?

Jul 27, 2021
If you use the AT&T unit in IP pass through you should verify that your Netgear has a public IP address.
What benefit are you trying to get from the Netgear ?
Just the QoS and dumaOS features to connect to the closest server possible on my region and also when playing other regions, from what I've been looking online is like the router is limiting the speed but what I dont understand is when I run the speedtest on the router software it gets around 600-700 and it shows that the internet is 1gig but on speedtest.com and fast.com I get 90mbps on all of my devices including my pc thats connected via lan cable and yes it has a public ip address thats different from at&t's

Some place in the path you likely have a defective cable. 90mbps or just a bit over is the number you see when a port is running at 100mbps.

Since it affects multiple devices I would suspect cables between your network devices. I am somewhat unclear as to how you have it cabled. It is not the WAN connection on the router you are testing from and getting 700mbps or more. It must be cable between that device and something farther down the path.

Some routers but not all will show you the speeds of the lan ports.

Cables are really strange they can work on some machines and not on others. This is even more of a problem when you are using fake cables. Be very sure your cables are pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24(no flat or thin cables). Still even the very best cables can fail. All it takes is for 1 wire to get slightly loose inside one of the plugs where you can't really see it. As heat changes it can work and then not work.

Sep 29, 2021
Hi, I'm not a tech person, so please bear with me, but from time to time (at least 3 times since June 2021), I have had the issue of my internet speed dropping from 900+ mbps download speed to around 300 or so. I use my laptop for my work, and I'm paid by production (medical transcriptionist) so fast internet speed is essential for me making a living doing what I do. I am hard wired to AT&T modem. When the speed has dropped on my work laptop, my other Acer play laptop hardwired has speeds of 900+, so know it's the work laptop acting up. It's a Dell Precision 7720 Workstation. What I have done and what seems to work is I've reinstalled Windows 10, using the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. It really takes only 30-45 minutes and it reinstalls over all my programs and it fixes the issue. The speed is back up to blazing 900+ mbps download speed. This has me wondering if it is a corrupted file caused by Windows Update or something? I use this laptop strictly for work, there are no games on it except what came with Win 10. I keep all drivers updated and Windows updated too. I'd appreciate any insight into the cause for this issue. Meanwhile, I'll continue doing what seems to fix the issue.