Question Slow Internet speeds even after fresh install

orphologram

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I've been having slow internet connection problems after a Windows 10 update a few months back. After exhausting every effort I could think of to fix the issue I decided to do a fresh clean install of Windows 10. Unfortunately it did not do anything to improve my internet speed. Internet speed tests are STILL showing my connection is getting around 1-40 Mbps download and 20-40 upload, very unusual. I've tested the connection speed on another Windows 10 laptop and it's getting 100+ mbps download speed as well as other gaming and other devices. I've tested the connection on WiFi and with an Ethernet cable directly into the modem. Same results. I even broke down and hauled my computer into an Office Max to see if one of the tech people in there could help and of course no luck. Slow internet speed on their in store connection as well and they couldn't figure it out either. Only advice they could give is to reinstall and if that doesn't work it could be a hardware problem.

Anybody have any idea on what could be causing my internet speed to be throttled or could this be a hardware issue? Everything on my computer is running perfect except for my internet speed. I'll list my system specs down below. Thanks in advance for any replies

Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18362 Build 1862

MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard (I've heard Killer Ethernet can pose problems? But I don't have that installed)

Intel 4790k 4.0 (not overclocked at the moment)

Nvidia MSI GTX 1080 TI

RAM 16 gigs

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS