Question Slow internet speeds, high packet loss on wired connection

Apr 5, 2020
I've been having slow internet issues for the last month or so (before the whole stay at home COVID issues.) I have a 150/10 from Cox and it has been terribly unreliable. I have a brand new Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and a Netgear R6220 router which is wired directly to the PC. I've updated all the firmware and drivers for everything on the PC and router. I've scanned for malware/spyware/etc and even reset the computer completely. I've bypassed the router and still have the same issues. I don't have any splitters anywhere and I had a cox tech come out and test the connection and wires (he said they were working perfect with correct speeds.) The last speed test I ran I got a whopping 3.53 download. I'm noticing a lot of packet loss and some errors in the modem logs.

View: https://imgur.com/nDGJoVu

View: https://imgur.com/9hKE3hr

Is there anything else I can try to fix this? Or is this all ISP related and just file the FCC complaint and hope that it gets resolved?

Last edited:
This looks like an isp signal issue to me. The tech that came out didn't do their job, or the problem wasn't happening at the time, but there's a signal issue there for sure as you're getting timeouts and the number of uncorrectables is waaaay too high.

Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I'll contact Cox again but their customer service has been awful. Hopefully they can repair whatever is causing this issue.

Apr 5, 2020
Cox can run that test and not have to come out? I just got the run around from the online tech again after I told him everything that was going on. "Have you restarted your modem, have you restarted your computer..."

I will ask them to run the test and report back. Thanks!

Cox can run that test and not have to come out? I just got the run around from the online tech again after I told him everything that was going on. "Have you restarted your modem, have you restarted your computer..."

I will ask them to run the test and report back. Thanks!
Sorry, I should have clarified--yes they can. I would call in and they will make you jump through all the hoops and just act like you're doing them since you've already done all that and when they basically get to the point where they are stumped or need to see what the next step is in their script, suggest that they check the ping to confirm the problem. Once they do that, they should be on a path to resolve it. I've had to hand hold almost every one of my isps through this process at some point.

Apr 5, 2020
Sorry, I should have clarified--yes they can. I would call in and they will make you jump through all the hoops and just act like you're doing them since you've already done all that and when they basically get to the point where they are stumped or need to see what the next step is in their script, suggest that they check the ping to confirm the problem. Once they do that, they should be on a path to resolve it. I've had to hand hold almost every one of my isps through this process at some point.
Okay great I will try that. I will let you know what happens.