Slow Internet Speeds on One Computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
My ISP (Comcast) is providing my household with 60Mbps down Internet speeds which when my modem/router is connected directly to any PC holds true to the promised speeds. When using speedtest.net to test the wireless connection around the router with my phone/laptop I get an average 57Mbps download speed. The computer I use is a desktop and as such cannot be moved, but is actually set-up in the room above where the router is located which I thought might be the cause of the slow internet speeds (0.7Mbps download) on this particular computer. When speed testing right next to the slow PC with a different phone/laptop, the speeds are a normal 50Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. This tells me that the floor between me and the router is now the problem and that it is instead something messed up with this particular computer, whether it be the drivers or something I don't know. I have tried contacting my ISP and restarting the modem/router and everything else on that end so I am sure that it has nothing to do with my service other than maybe some type of driver issue. So I ask anyone who might have a solution other than hard wiring a connection, seeing as that is impossible at the moment. Thank you for your time and help.

Rig Specs:
AMD FX Vishera-8320
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
AMD Radeon HD 7850
Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Ralink 802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless Adapter

Router:
Airport Extreme

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

281qyaf.jpg

Let me know if you need any other angles.

Well that's a pretty nice job of managing the cables but I can't see where the wireless is, LOL. I see no card and no internal adapter is visible or mentioned by the motherboard support page. Are you sure it's not a USB somewhere? What is plugged into the PC (list everything)?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Logitech G930 Headset USB Cable
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate USB Cables
R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse USB Cable
AOC Monitor via DVI Cable
Dynex Monitor via HDMI Cable

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

z3389.jpg

There's the back with everything plugged in. Everything is in the picture except for the keyboard, which is plugged in on the front along with nothing else.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Nope. Everything that is listed is what is plugged in, and believe me, I'm as confused as you are as to how I manage a wireless connection. By the way I booted it up into safe mode and the download shot up to 12Mbps. Still not the 50Mbps that I was getting on other devices in the same area, but better than what I am getting while not in safe mode.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Disconnected the G930 USB and still got a connection, just as slow though. Keep throwing ideas out there because like I said I'm as confused as you are and anything helps.

How does resource usage compare between safe mode and normal mode? It should be less in safe mode but there should be minimal usage in normal mode at idle with no programs loaded (after a fresh boot and waiting a few minutes for it to settle). There is less stuff running in safe mode generally so there's less to potentially cause interference.

What is loading on startup in normal mode?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
I am 110% positive that there is no external USB adapter but I may have forgot to mention a Logitech Webcam that is plugged in. The two from the Blackwidow, the one from the mouse, the one from the headset and the one from the webcam. Plus the DVD/HDMI from the two monitors.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
By loading on startup I assume you mean programs? And usually it's just things like Spotify/Chrome/Steam. Only Spotify is set to open on boot but other than that nothing really program wise. Is there any way that I can check other drivers to see if they are interfering or anything of the sort? That's just what I get from it being slightly faster in safe mode is that the problems stems from something it is conflicting with. Although the safe mode speeds are nothing like what they should be, they are still slightly faster.

The Ralink 802.11bgn 1T1R is described as a mini-card on http://www.drivermax.com/driver/update/Network-Adapters/Ralink-Technology,-Corp./802.11bgn-1T1R-Mini-Card-Wireless-Adapter.

I haven't found picture yet but I suspect its pcie x1 and completely internal - maybe under the graphics card

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

So card replacement would not be an option, rather replacement of a motherboard? I'll keep that in mind as a final option but seeing that i have faster speeds when in Safe Mode and other things mentioned, I believe that the problem may be software or software interference. Any ideas?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Well I think I found it. It looks to be connected correctly, but I have another question for you if you don't mind. The most recent update for the driver is listed on the Ralink (MediaTek) website of an update that was released April 15, 2014 where my current drivers are from 2013 which may be the real problem. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to update the drivers once I have downloaded them. And it comes with x64 and a x86 folders within the Windows 8 folder, which confused me because I would understand if there was a 32 and 64 folder but this makes no sense. So any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me install this stuff. I will put a link below so you can look at the files yourself.

Link: http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/

x86 is the same as 32 bit (and x64 means 64 bit)

You can use the same procedure as in the other thread (if there's no setup program)

On that card, is there an antenna attached? At the opposite end from where it plugs into the board there are two small attachments where wires from the antennas would go.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

But when I go to device manager>network adapter> select my current one>update>and select the file nothing happens and the version does not change.Is there another method because this one does not appear to be working?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Well it's the only driver download that is provided on the manufacturers website.

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/