Slow Internet Speeds on One Computer

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
My ISP (Comcast) is providing my household with 60Mbps down Internet speeds which when my modem/router is connected directly to any PC holds true to the promised speeds. When using speedtest.net to test the wireless connection around the router with my phone/laptop I get an average 57Mbps download speed. The computer I use is a desktop and as such cannot be moved, but is actually set-up in the room above where the router is located which I thought might be the cause of the slow internet speeds (0.7Mbps download) on this particular computer. When speed testing right next to the slow PC with a different phone/laptop, the speeds are a normal 50Mbps download and 11Mbps upload. This tells me that the floor between me and the router is now the problem and that it is instead something messed up with this particular computer, whether it be the drivers or something I don't know. I have tried contacting my ISP and restarting the modem/router and everything else on that end so I am sure that it has nothing to do with my service other than maybe some type of driver issue. So I ask anyone who might have a solution other than hard wiring a connection, seeing as that is impossible at the moment. Thank you for your time and help.

Rig Specs:
AMD FX Vishera-8320
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
AMD Radeon HD 7850
Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Ralink 802.11bgn 1T1R Wireless Adapter

Router:
Airport Extreme

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

I'm sure that it is a problem with something within my computer because when I test the connection in the same spot with another computer, the speeds are more than fine. So like I said there is no problem with the location of the router, it's something with my computer itself I just have no idea what it is. Maybe drivers or something? Network card? I don't know.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Not sure how to check the card's antenna, but as for network adapters I did what you said and attempted to update them through the Windows provided method but it just sat there searching for an update. The card is a Ralink 802.11bgn 1T1R if that helps in any way.

I also messed with some setting on the Wireless Adapter, what exactly they do I have no idea, but after restarting it has shot up from 0.7Mbps down to 5Mbps down, so clearly it is a problem with some settings between the router (Airport Extreme) and the network adapter. If you have any knowledge as to how to improve these settings so they will be more compatible and grant me better download speeds, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Nope. have not tried this method before and to be 100% honest I am not sure that I am capable of doing such. The uninstall part I am fine with but re-installing them is something that I have never done before.

EdwardElric

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
here are to options I found on the internet,

Method 1:
Uncheck Allow computer to turn off this device to save power option.

a. Open device manager.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Device-Manager

b. Find and expand Network adapters heading.

c. Locate and highlight your wireless adapter

d. Right click on it and select Properties

e. On menu click on Power Management

f. Uncheck where it is Allow computer to turn off this device to save power

g. Click OK

If the steps in method 1 do not work, then please follow the steps mentioned under method 2.

Method 2:

You may temporarily disable security software’s and check if the issue persists. Make sure to enable those security software's on the computer after checking.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

If disabling the security software resolves the issue then, please contact the specific security software manufacturer to resolve the issue.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

I have already tried method 1 to no success with improving network connectivity. I just tried disabling both firewall and antivirus and re-checking the speeds I receive and they were still the same. Thanks for the advice anyways!

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Figured out how to uninstall/re-install so I will make an attempt at this and see whether or not it helps.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

No luck there. Any ideas as to settings that I might change between the adapter and my router in order to improve compatibility or anything else that might be the problem as to why only this computer is slow in the upstairs room where as other computers in the same room get much faster speeds?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Full bars when compared to other devices but as I said when right next to another device in the same area, this particular computer gets significantly lower download speeds. For example, I do a speedtest on this slow PC and get 5Mbps download and then grab a laptop or phone and run a speed test while in the same spot as the slow PC and get upwards of 50Mbps download speed. And as for the card I am pretty sure that it is integrated into the system but I am not entirely sure.

Is it placed in a slot in the back of the PC like this...

sentey-arvina-expansion.jpg

Where that video card is located except it has an antenna? If so it's an add-on card (more easily replaceable)

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

The only slot in the back of my PC that is occupied is that of my video card, so the card is integrated into the system.

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014

That is the correct motherboard. There is no dongle plugged in but I was considering purchasing something like that of what I linked to see if that helps my problem and then the problem can be attributed to whatever adapter it is that I am using now and it can possibly be replaced in the future.

Also if I were to test with a new USB based adapter just as a temporary fix, would just clicking disable under devices>network adapters do the trick or is there something else I should do?

Crims

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Anything else you propose I do as a means of solving this problem? It's just weird to me that one computer can be so slow while the others are fine. I can send you a picture of what the innards of my PC look like if that would help in any way with deciding how to solve the issue. Don't know if it would provide any help towards solving the issue but I'm desperate so I'm up for anything.