Slow Internet Speeds on only one computer. [SOLVED]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BajungaDustin

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
My main computer has not been maintaining full internet speeds while my phone and tablet are?

I pay for 30/5 internet and my down lately has been super slow on my PC. hitting as low as 0.4Mbps up to 34Mbps. Over the last few weeks, it's been hovering around the 4 to 17 range.

I monitored it closely one night for 4 hours and noticed really slow speeds.

So after contacting my ISP and they came out we realized that this was my problem and not theirs. More specifically... it was my single PC getting low speeds. NOTHING ELSE.

My phone pulls 34Mbps consistently through the WiFi on the same network. My laptop pulls 34Mbps while hooked up to the modem and via WiFi. My Tablet pulls 30Mbps through WiFi. My computer pulls crap from the router or while hooked up to the modem.

I have installed the most up-to-date drivers for my NIC and the ones that came with the mobo disc and still crap.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled the NIC and nothing is working. I just reinstalled Windows yesterday and still nothing. I bought a wireless USB adapter and STILL pulling around 10Mbps right now.

And yes, I tested this with ONLY the computer connected and no devices. I have checked all my cables and ruled out any damaged cables (even though since the WiFi is working for everything else, I know my problem is not in my router or modem.)

The problem exists on my computer alone regardless of connection type or path and is pulling crappy numbers from a network that is putting out great numbers. So, the problem has to be internal on my computer. But what could it be???

MoBo: --------ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M
Processor:----AMD A8-5600K APU Radeon HD 7560D
Graphics 2:---AMD Radeon HD 7850
Mem:----------Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8)
BIOS:---------American Microtrends vp2.10 3/14/2013
NIC:----------Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Router:-------Linksys WRT160Nv3
Modem:--------ARRIS CM820

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
OMG... I just solved this on my own.

I was looking under my installed programs since this was a fresh install and i noticed something that i had never seen before called AMD Quick Stream which i assume came from my AMD all-in-one Driver. I went to programs and opened it up and turns out it seems like this program regulates internet flow to programs based on demand and need. You can have it allocate bandwidth and even reserve bandwidth for certain programs and it increases these bandwidths based on how much it's using.

This explains everything. It explains why ONLY my computer was getting crappy tests but everything else was fine. It also explains why my speed tests slowly got faster and faster every time i tested because it was...

Cyro97

Reputable
May 10, 2015

I have an Intel i5 and nvidia graphics Card. I just had my provider come out for the 2nd time and checked a bunch of devices same issue. I'm so lost. I even tried a different Ethernet card. Same issue! Help!

C_Cross81

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Lan Optimizer was my problem. I assume it was doing the same thing. I pay for 100 / 10 and was getting 1/.1 so I wasn't very happy.

Does anyone know what these programs are actually trying to accomplish? Seems like a pretty stupid concept to limit the hell out of your connection speed.

Zach E P

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

You sir, are a God among men, I was dumb-founded.

Tyler Dawkins

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
If your problem is not AMD Quickstream, try to check for other programs similar to it that regulate and control internet traffic.

I had this EXACT SAME ISSUE except the program was XFast LAN for me that came pre-installed on my desktop PC. I disabled this "Enable Traffic Shaping" feature on it and suddenly my internet speeds went up (my speeds were fine on phones and tablet just like the original problem!)

So, yeah, needless to say I uninstalled that crap. :)

Concrete1

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
This same thing happened to me, brand new laptop. I updated the drivers and everything. Its not an AMD so I don't have Quick stream. Anything like this for us NVIDIA/ Intel people?

drewb9007

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Can someone help me? I play alot of games an my ping and internet connection all around has been horrible. I can't find any programs that would mess with my internet and I'm lost.Also is there any easy way to find things that limit your connection

digbyrotten

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
same thing here, brand new build,
i7 4790k
asus z97-a mobo
nvidia gtx 980
windows 8.1

Cannot find anything that can fix this, internet is fine on my old computer, has anyone got any more ideas?

Miket67m

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I have the same problem. Win7 Pro 64 bit. Running Nvidia GEforce GT 640. 74mbs on all devices, ethernet ports and wifi, except for the Computer Planet PC which is half the speed up and down. Tried different graphics card, checked all settings, still trying to work out what is causing it

cguarinus

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I'm having the same issue here and have been having it for months. Have gone the rounds with my ISP and still can't solve the issue. All other devices - phone, tablet and Chromebook - run fine, but my Desktop PC doesn't. It's a Dell XPS i680 running Win7 64-bit and is using an Nvidia graphics card. Also lost.

cguarinus

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I also have an Nvidia GEForce GT 8800. Seems that when I disable the driver in the driver manager that the Internet speed becomes as fast as lightning, so it has something to do with the video driver - 100%.

cguarinus

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
OK. As one of the other posters suggested earlier, even with the NVidia GeForce, you're going to have to go to your Device Manager, click on Display and then right click the graphics card and Uninstall the driver. The screen will look horrible for a few minutes and drop down to a low resolution, but don't fret, just click on Action > Scan for hardware changes in the Device Manager and Windows will automatically detect the graphics card and reinstall a brand new driver.

Internet should run just fine after doing this. -- I tried to just do an Update but Windows doesn't detect it. You're going to have to uninstall and reinstall your video driver.

cguarinus

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I tried to move this to another Nvidia forum to see if anyone knows over there. @Chaseh. - https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860242/geforce-basics/slow-internet-from-geforce-gt-8800/

sketchpad

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013

Thanks so much BajungaDustin, I had the same problem and have been pulling my hair out all week trying to solve it. Blast you AMD Quick Steam!!!

Bassblaster505

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015

i have the same problem, but i don't have an AMD thing running, think it might be my wireless card

kid1412

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

I had this problem too and didn't know why. Now I got it solved. Thank you so much!! :)

randomguy12345

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hey guys , today (morning) i was on facebook ( with my phone ) ..i was watching some videos .. with no problem .. then after like 15min "facebooking" i tryed to open a video .. it was loading like 30sec .. then 1sec running ,, 30sec loading .. So i just Turned on my Pc .. thinking is was a glitch by my phone .. So i opened Youtube , Facebook .. and so With my pc .. and Bum it was the same 30sec loading , 1sec running .. i allready restarted my wifi , let the Anti virus check everything .. even called the "internet service guys" and asked if somethings wrong with theyr Internet stuff .. and .. they said everything is OK .. so please Help me :( ( my download speed was 4/5mbs .. now 100kbs .. Ping was 30 .. now 400+

ASkelly

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
Solved for Nvidia Graphics cards. Iv had this issue for a couple of months now with one computer receiving terribly low download speeds (around 7.mbs) compared to other computers, laptops and phones in my house (around 45mbs). The computer with the slow speeds has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 graphics card, when disabling the driver of the graphics card the download speed would go back up to around 40mbs, however having a disabled graphics card wasn't an option.

Now the solution, i bought a new wireless card that was 5ghz compatible, i then unsynced the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals from the router and renamed the 5ghz signal so my pc could connect solely to it. And this has solved the issue. Some how my graphics card was interfering with the 2.4ghz signal from my router but has no issues with the 5ghz signal. My pc now receives around 55mbs which is excellent.

So basically you either need to replace the graphics card as it interferes with the signal or make sure your running and receiving a solely 5ghz wifi signal. Sorry for the sporadic response finding it a bit hard to explain, good luck

Weibing

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

I am also having the same slow internet issue.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L645, Windows 7, Intel i3 core, and ATI Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics. The speed test on this laptop is only about ~0.4, while I can get >4mbps in my phone and other laptops. I reformatted the laptop and the problem persists.

Now this issue happened in my another laptop, a HP Windows 10, Intel i5 Core and Nvidia GeForce. Again the speed test is only about 0.4mbps.

I have no idea how did this happen, will downloading things cause this? Please help and thanks much!

neel222

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

neel222

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
hey viraj ,,you able to solve your problem? because I am suffering from this problem ,,I get only 2 mbps speed using my laptop and 10 mbps using my other devices.my laptop :dell inspiron 15R 5537 core i7,windows 8.1,,2 gb amd 8670 graphics card

Steven_8

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
Hey guys I had the exact same issue as all of you. With the help of one of these previous posts about the graphics card potentially interfering, i tried moving my wireless adapter away from the PC tower and it has solved my issue. I'm lucky and have an extension cable for my wireless adapter so i can place it quite far away but i know a lot of wireless adapters don't have these, so i recommend getting a USB extension cable and see if that works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.