Question Slow Internet Speeds via Ethernet on Primary PC, but wired laptop and all wireless devices are faster ?

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
So I upgraded my internet recently from 500download to 1200 download, all my devices connected wirelessly and my laptop wired all the max speed for their respective network cards (phone ~400Mbps, laptop ~1000Mbps) but my wired PC isn't getting the speed. I tried updating drivers, I purchased a new realtek network card and updated it's drivers, I tried isolating interference by disconnecting every USB item from my PC with no luck, I tried unplugging from the surge protector into a different outlet with no luck, I updated the bios when I first got the PC and it's up-to-date per ASUS drivers site, I'm at a lost.

In the network adapter settings I changed the speed and duplex and disabled all the power saving features.

In the speedtest my test never seems to peak it's still on the rise when the download ends, could it just be a slow buildup to peak and I never reach it?

Specs:
Asus Tuf H670 PRO WiFi 4
i5 12600k
4x8GB DDR4 TForce DELTA RGB 3200Mhz

kanewolf

Titan
So I upgraded my internet recently from 500download to 1200 download, all my devices connected wirelessly and my laptop wired all the max speed for their respective network cards (phone ~400Mbps, laptop ~1000Mbps) but my wired PC isn't getting the speed. I tried updating drivers, I purchased a new realtek network card and updated it's drivers, I tried isolating interference by disconnecting every USB item from my PC with no luck, I tried unplugging from the surge protector into a different outlet with no luck, I updated the bios when I first got the PC and it's up-to-date per ASUS drivers site, I'm at a lost.

In the network adapter settings I changed the speed and duplex and disabled all the power saving features.

In the speedtest my test never seems to peak it's still on the rise when the download ends, could it just be a slow buildup to peak and I never reach it?

Specs:
Asus Tuf H670 PRO WiFi 4
i5 12600k
4x8GB DDR4 TForce DELTA RGB 3200Mhz
The Asus TUF motherboards include the GameFirst software. It limits speed to prioritze gaming traffic. I would start by uninstalling any kind of network optimization software.

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
Thanks I'll try and see if I have that or any other networking software installed, I don't recall installing it when I installed armoury crate . Im working 11a-11p right now I'll check when I get home in a few hours and keep you updated!

Asus has changed what they call this software from what I can tell they used to license their own version of CFOSspeed but now they ship that program directly ? You can look for that also.
Many other vendors have started to bundle similar software and all of it is smoke and mirrors since you can't actually affect network traffic outside the machine and if you have a network bottleneck between the chips in the machine then you have a far greater issue.
This type of software is also bundled with video cards many times. You want to remove anything that talks about favoring one type of traffic over another or anything that talks about garbage like reducing gaming latency.

This also can be the 2.5g drivers but if you get the latest ones directly from intel it seems to mostly be fixed. This though is not likely you problem if you have already tried a different ethernet card.

It almost has to be some software on the machine. The fairly easy test would be to get a USB linux boot image that runs completely from the USB stick. It should have chrome installed so you can run standard speedtests. The problem is all this will do is confirm that your hardware is good and it is some windows issues.
What it does not do is tell you what software or strange window setting it could be. Who knows what microsoft broke on the latest windows update.

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
I've never created a Linux boot any good tutorial videos to follow, sorry I've been working 12 hrs every day since Weds and I'm not off til Monday so I'm trying to do this in the few hours I have after work, I disabled every single Asus installed bloatware but still no luck 😭

The one I have is many years old it so I can't say what is now best. I probably should get a new one too since it likely will not work on the newest machines with all the new hardware drivers needed.

It is purely a guess. Maybe booting windows into safe mode would give you a clue.

Ralston18

Titan
I will add the suggestion to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at at time.

First observe while online doing light browsing or work. Then observe while downloading.

Discover what system resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what application, process, service is using any given resource.

For example, from Post # 1:

"In the speedtest my test never seems to peak it's still on the rise when the download ends, could it just be a slow buildup to peak and I never reach it? "

Watch for some resource usage % going upwards but not peaking.

Do the same without speed test, just do whatever is a normal download for you.

Make take a bit of trial and error to work out the testing and observation process - no need to rush.

Also Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may prove helpful.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Could reveal some background process being launched at startup or later triggered via Task Scheduler when some game or app is running.

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
The one I have is many years old it so I can't say what is now best. I probably should get a new one too since it likely will not work on the newest machines with all the new hardware drivers needed.

It is purely a guess. Maybe booting windows into safe mode would give you a clue.
I did try safe mode with the same results with the onboard card, I'll try safe mode with my new card as well, I'm not off til Monday so I'll see Sunday night what I come up with, but I'll download Linux tomorrow night as well and give it a try

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
I will add the suggestion to use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at at time.

First observe while online doing light browsing or work. Then observe while downloading.

Discover what system resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what application, process, service is using any given resource.

For example, from Post # 1:

"In the speedtest my test never seems to peak it's still on the rise when the download ends, could it just be a slow buildup to peak and I never reach it? "

Watch for some resource usage % going upwards but not peaking.

Do the same without speed test, just do whatever is a normal download for you.

Make take a bit of trial and error to work out the testing and observation process - no need to rush.

Also Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may prove helpful.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Could reveal some background process being launched at startup or later triggered via Task Scheduler when some game or app is running.
Thanks before I try try Linux I should be able to try this tonight pretty quickly, I'll report back when I can, never heard of process explorer, good tip

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
Asus has changed what they call this software from what I can tell they used to license their own version of CFOSspeed but now they ship that program directly ? You can look for that also.
Many other vendors have started to bundle similar software and all of it is smoke and mirrors since you can't actually affect network traffic outside the machine and if you have a network bottleneck between the chips in the machine then you have a far greater issue.
This type of software is also bundled with video cards many times. You want to remove anything that talks about favoring one type of traffic over another or anything that talks about garbage like reducing gaming latency.

This also can be the 2.5g drivers but if you get the latest ones directly from intel it seems to mostly be fixed. This though is not likely you problem if you have already tried a different ethernet card.

It almost has to be some software on the machine. The fairly easy test would be to get a USB linux boot image that runs completely from the USB stick. It should have chrome installed so you can run standard speedtests. The problem is all this will do is confirm that your hardware is good and it is some windows issues.
What it does not do is tell you what software or strange window setting it could be. Who knows what microsoft broke on the latest windows update.
So I tried booting off the USB for Linux and first off the colors were all messed up lol but the speed it gave me was the same 350 down and 40 up, I'm starting to lose hope, is there anything in the bios that could limit it, I have Asus performance boost or w/e it's called enabled by default could that be it??

That is very strange. I can't think of a hardware error that would limit the speed like that. Is 40 the upload limit on your other devices also. If it was getting physical errors it would limit the speed but async data rates are strange. Ethernet actually uses all 4 pair to transmit in both directions so if there was some issue you would think it would affect both direction equally.

I guess another test would be to copy files between machines in your house. Even better would be to use a tool like IPERF. IPERF is a old line mode command that is not affected by things like disk structure or even cpu or memory. Since it also does not run from the browser it also eliminates that.
You should see 900+mbps in both directions with iperf. File copies you can see the rate in the network tab of the resource manager. I would use huge files so you can watch and see if the rates change....note many rates on that screen are MBYTES/sec

kanewolf

Titan
So I tried booting off the USB for Linux and first off the colors were all messed up lol but the speed it gave me was the same 350 down and 40 up, I'm starting to lose hope, is there anything in the bios that could limit it, I have Asus performance boost or w/e it's called enabled by default could that be it??
This goes back to windows, but do you have the latest driver from the Intel website for your 2.5Gbit NIC -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...el-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
That is very strange. I can't think of a hardware error that would limit the speed like that. Is 40 the upload limit on your other devices also. If it was getting physical errors it would limit the speed but async data rates are strange. Ethernet actually uses all 4 pair to transmit in both directions so if there was some issue you would think it would affect both direction equally.

I guess another test would be to copy files between machines in your house. Even better would be to use a tool like IPERF. IPERF is a old line mode command that is not affected by things like disk structure or even cpu or memory. Since it also does not run from the browser it also eliminates that.
You should see 900+mbps in both directions with iperf. File copies you can see the rate in the network tab of the resource manager. I would use huge files so you can watch and see if the rates change....note many rates on that screen are MBYTES/sec
The 40 up is my max upload speed that's why it's so strange, I'm reaching my max Up but my down is struggling, me and my fiance have to goto philly tomorrow for a drs appt I'll try it in the morning before we go to see what the speeds are, thanks for your help man, you're all over this forum like some sort of networking hero!

FlagzTV

Distinguished
May 17, 2014

So I rushed to use it a few minutes before I have to leave (iperf) and I was able to get 400 with wired main PC and wireless laptop with my laptop being the server. I tried to hook my laptop up to my router/modem combo and i couldn't get it to run it kept giving me an error 😭

It appears that 400mbps is the maximum you can get via wifi. That I guess is better than what you were getting.

Hard to say why it won't work when you have both pc wired. Iperf is a very stupid program you put in a IP address and it runs. Maybe because windows thinks the wired network is different than the wireless one there are firewall rules blocking stuff.
I will assume you have both devices wired to the same modem/router. If you have multiple routers you will have 2 networks and can have messy problems trying to get stuff to talk.