[SOLVED] slow internet whilst downloading

May 30, 2021
hi everyone :)

i have been having an issue with my internet thats 50/20 down/up where if i decide to download anything, my internet on the whole network becomes unbaringly slow

Currently i am downloading a game on steam with a 20mbps download limit - this is what i get if i run a speedtest during the download

zNESGAH.png

I cant watch youtube or twitch or netflix without waiting for a buffer

Just some bg info, im running an asus ac86cu and using ethernet everywhere possible, ive tried messing around with QOS but that seems to have little to no effect putting my PC at highest priority

my old house had slower internet but i didnt have to throttle speeds and could do everything whilst downloading

thanks for any help :)! ask any questions and ill be happy to answer

Solution
Does speedtest work correctly when you are not downloading stuff. Speedtest itself is a file download.

Part of the problem with any form of traffic limit either in the program itself or some form of QoS setting is how the rates are calculated.

The main issue is the values are seeing are averages. Lets say I download a 100mbps for 1 second and do nothing 9 seconds. The other case I download at 20mbps for 1 second and do nothing for 1 second and I repeat this 5 times. Both have a average over 10 seconds of 10mbps. They put a very different type of traffic load on the network.
It is the short burst of traffic that cause the issues.

This is why fancy QoS lets you actually set all the variables on how these numbers are...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hi everyone :)

i have been having an issue with my internet thats 50/20 down/up where if i decide to download anything, my internet on the whole network becomes unbaringly slow

Currently i am downloading a game on steam with a 20mbps download limit - this is what i get if i run a speedtest during the download

zNESGAH.png

I cant watch youtube or twitch or netflix without waiting for a buffer

Just some bg info, im running an asus ac86cu and using ethernet everywhere possible, ive tried messing around with QOS but that seems to have little to no effect putting my PC at highest priority

my old house had slower internet but i didnt have to throttle speeds and could do everything whilst downloading

thanks for any help :)! ask any questions and ill be happy to answer
You need to run speed test when your not downloading something.
Most of the time when your downloading a game your at the mercy of the server your downloading from.

My internet is very fast but also slows to a craw downloading a game.

Does speedtest work correctly when you are not downloading stuff. Speedtest itself is a file download.

Part of the problem with any form of traffic limit either in the program itself or some form of QoS setting is how the rates are calculated.

The main issue is the values are seeing are averages. Lets say I download a 100mbps for 1 second and do nothing 9 seconds. The other case I download at 20mbps for 1 second and do nothing for 1 second and I repeat this 5 times. Both have a average over 10 seconds of 10mbps. They put a very different type of traffic load on the network.
It is the short burst of traffic that cause the issues.

This is why fancy QoS lets you actually set all the variables on how these numbers are calculated.

I would try to set the value on the game down loader even lower and see if it helps any. You could also have some other bottleneck. Things like steam can use a lot of cpu and disk when it is installing/downloading software.

Solution
QoS can help greatly with this. You can cap your steam downloads if it's the only thing causing you issues. fq_codel and the newer version cake both need little configuring and can fix many issues. All shaping requires you to limit your bandwidth by atleast 5% could be up to 15%. TCP is like a garden hose there's a delay for when it slows down and you want to hit 100%. If you use one of these waveform has a bufferbloat test for QoS. You want to set it as high as possible and still get an A/A+

openwrt runs cake it can run in a VM or flashed to different models. I'm not sure if anything ships with it. Several ship fq_codel. Both work equally as well for 50Mbs DOCSIS. If you have DSL cake has more features for framing overhead and it's more efficient on low end routers.

fq_codel and cake use fair queue. They give each connection equal speeds and when somethings buffered it picks the one using the most. torrents and steam downloads open several connections. They still take over but steam would only do 5-8 or something so a video should still go through on 720p or 1080p. You may have to manually limit those either way. A lot of downloads are a single TCP and you will not even notice they are downloading. Most of the other Qdisc are outdated and never worked well. I wouldn't bother with them. fq_codel+htb and cake can put things in priority buckets but it's far more complicated and default implementations work pretty well. Almost no implementations even assist with these settings. The only one I've seen is ipfire. steam isn't even easy to match because it's using web ports. The closest you can get is adding all the CIDR from the bandwidth provider they use.

Last edited: