carlosaurith

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi,
My server has a 180gb SSD (R-480MB/s W- 72MB/s ). Both my desktop and the server are on a one-gigabit connection. When I transfer a test file, I am only getting, max 115MB/s. Is this because the drive is a bottleneck? The same thing happens when I test another drive in the server 1tb HDD (R-116MB/s W-116MB/s).
Thanks.

Solution
Your conclusion is correct.
1Gbit =125Mbytes/sec. In reality we can get speeds up to about 110MBytes/sec. That is, it doesn't matter if in server (or NAS) "good old" HDD's are used, or ultra fast SSD's - 1Gbit protocol is limiting factor.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
115MB/sec is still very good, only 10MB off from theoretical maximum transfer rate of 125MB/s. I don't get maximum between two systems either with SSD's, it's about the same as you, using either Cat5e or 6, didn't make a difference.

Write speed of 72MB/s seems quite low for the SSD, would that be a typo?

carlosaurith

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
115MB/sec is still very good, only 10MB off from theoretical maximum transfer rate of 125MB/s. I don't get maximum between two systems either with SSD's, it's about the same as you, using either Cat5e or 6, didn't make a difference.

Write speed of 72MB/s seems quite low for the SSD, would that be a typo?
Hi,
That's what the test showed, its an old and cheap SSD.
The transfer speed over the network, from my desktop to the server says its 115MB/s is that what i should be seeing on a one gigabit network?
Thanks for the help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That's 920Mbps, slightly under gigabit.

What about the receiving drive, what is it's write speed? And how large is the test file?

Userbench tests drives, run an instance and see what it says. Please post link to results page.

carlosaurith

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
That's 920Mbps, slightly under gigabit.

What about the receiving drive, what is it's write speed? And how large is the test file?

Userbench tests drives, run an instance and see what it says. Please post link to results page.
Hi,
I think I was just expecting th wrong thing. I upgraded the LAN network to a one-gigabit and therefore I thought that when I transferred a file I would be seeing more than 100MB./s, perhaps 500MB/s. Some of the research that I have done indicated that 125MB/s is a one-gigabit connection, 500MB/s is a 10gb connection. Is this correct?
Thank you for your support!

Your conclusion is correct.
1Gbit =125Mbytes/sec. In reality we can get speeds up to about 110MBytes/sec. That is, it doesn't matter if in server (or NAS) "good old" HDD's are used, or ultra fast SSD's - 1Gbit protocol is limiting factor.

Solution