[SOLVED] Slow LAN Port? MSI Motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 20, 2020
Hello, first time asking on the forum. These threads have helped me in the past, but I can't seem to find support for my issue... So here I am.

I'd like to think that I've narrowed down my issue and determined it's a software or hardware issue with my LAN port (hopefully not the latter). It's almost like there's a VSync enabled but for my download speed. Just to clarify, I'm not having any connection issues, I've just become obsessed with finding the culprit.

soft/HARDware:
  • ISP: Spectrum - 200 Mbps down//15 Mbps up
  • Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M5
    • Port: Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Router: Netgear Nighthawk AC2600
  • Ethernet Cables: CAT 5e
Troubleshooting:
  • Speed tests from my PC from several sites show consistent ~100 Mbps down//~15 Mbps up
  • Speed tests from other devices on my network more accurately represent ISP package (sometimes even faster)
    • Devices tested: Xbox OneS (wired), Samsung Galaxy S10e (5 GHz wireless), iPad Pro 11 (5 GHz Wireless)
  • Swapped Ethernet cables between PC and Xbox to test faulty cables/ports, no noticeable change
  • Scanned for Network Adapter driver updates through Device Manager, "Best drivers are already installed"
    • "Speed & Duplex" is set to "Auto Negotiation"
    • Additionally, disabled and re-enabled network adapter through Device Manager, no noticeable change
  • Attempted to update BIOS, no noticeable change, though I'm not entirely sure if the update was successful (I'm not very experienced in the BIOS)

This is all the information I could think of off the top of my head, but if more is needed let me know and I'll try to provide.

Solution
Hello once again, all.

After weeks of obsessive struggle and dealing tech support, I finally just gave my operating system a clean install and boom. Consistently getting 230+ Mbps now.

Yeet.