[SOLVED] Slow Lan speed whendoing back ups or restores

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I have a Buffalo Nas box I use to back up my files. However while the speeds are high to start with they get extremely slow. It goes from hundreads of Mb/sec to Kb/s in the space of about 10 minutes. Is there some unavoidable tendancy for transfer speeds to slow down? Is there a way to keep speeds higher?
I linked between the PC and the Nas with cable via my router.

If anyone has an idea as to what to do I'd appreciate hearing it.

Regards Steve

Solution
Hi
The pc is connected to the Router by ethernet cable and the Nas is connected to the router by cable too. There's a 1Tb Iron Wolf Nas HDD in the Nas. The Nas is mapped as a networked drive in windows 10. I use the Buffalo version of NovaBackup by Novastore to select backup and restore data. It came with the Nas.
Not knowing vast amounts about networking this was the simplest way I could get things working. In the past it's worked reasonably ok with moderate sized backups but I had a lot of files to back up and restore from a failling laptop. It's as if the set up choked on the files. Some of the files are large Amiga HDF files. if that would make a difference.

Steve
Create a single large zip file and copy that to the...

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi
The pc is connected to the Router by ethernet cable and the Nas is connected to the router by cable too. There's a 1Tb Iron Wolf Nas HDD in the Nas. The Nas is mapped as a networked drive in windows 10. I use the Buffalo version of NovaBackup by Novastore to select backup and restore data. It came with the Nas.
Not knowing vast amounts about networking this was the simplest way I could get things working. In the past it's worked reasonably ok with moderate sized backups but I had a lot of files to back up and restore from a failling laptop. It's as if the set up choked on the files. Some of the files are large Amiga HDF files. if that would make a difference.

Steve

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

Steve
Create a single large zip file and copy that to the NAS. 100s or 1000s of small files is very inefficient.

Solution