Question Slow LAN speeds when connected to router

Jul 28, 2020
Hey guys, I'm having an issue here mainly concerning my download speed. I have 400 mbps down, and I can get those speeds just fine when directly wired into my modem(Arris T1602A, from Spectrum). If I use the LAN ports on my router (NETGEAR AC2300 r7000p), my download speeds drop to around 100 mbps. The router is advertised as having gigabit ethernet ports, and when I look in the router settings and logs, the port I'm connected to reads as a gigabit port. One part I'm struggling to understand is that Speedtest is showing between 420-450 down regardless of how I connect; however, when I try to download large files on Steam, as an example, the download speeds differ greatly when hardwired into the modem vs. the router. I changed nothing other than which device my PC is directly connected to. I looked for some similar posts, but couldn't find a solution that worked. Thanks for your time.

Ralston18

Titan
When you test directly (computer to modem) are you using the same ethernet cable as computer to router?

How are you connecting modem to the router? Which router port are you using?

Are you able to connect modem and router with a known working (at speed) ethernet cable?

On your computer, run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.