[SOLVED] Slow LAN Speeds

Nope__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
All I do is transfer files from pc to pc on my network. Both PC's have gigabit networking, router/moden has gigabit ports, everything connected with cat6 cables. Pretty muched followed every guide on the first page on google but to no avail.

The issue is I am able to transfer files between both PC's at 125MB/s, which is what is suppose to happen, but after a couple seconds it drops to around 5MB/s.

Solution
Is this single large files or multiple small files? It sounds like the storage system on one or both PCs are limiting. You get gigabit speed while you are transferring to the memory buffer. When that is full and you have to limit to disk speeds, then your performance drops.

kanewolf

Titan
Is this single large files or multiple small files? It sounds like the storage system on one or both PCs are limiting. You get gigabit speed while you are transferring to the memory buffer. When that is full and you have to limit to disk speeds, then your performance drops.

Solution

Nope__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
It's multiple files. The hard drives on both PC's write at ~135MB/s, so if it was limited to disk speeds it should be fine right?

kanewolf

Titan
It's multiple files. The hard drives on both PC's write at ~135MB/s, so if it was limited to disk speeds it should be fine right?
multiple files has the windows file system overhead. That will kill performance. To prove it, create a zip (or rar, etc) of all the files and transfer that one large file. I bet your performance will stay around much closer to 100MB/s.

Oct 23, 2019
All I do is transfer files from pc to pc on my network. Both PC's have gigabit networking, router/moden has gigabit ports, everything connected with cat6 cables. Pretty muched followed every guide on the first page on google but to no avail.

The issue is I am able to transfer files between both PC's at 125MB/s, which is what is suppose to happen, but after a couple seconds it drops to around 5MB/s.
Based on ur nic card speed

Nope__

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
multiple files has the windows file system overhead. That will kill performance. To prove it, create a zip (or rar, etc) of all the files and transfer that one large file. I bet your performance will stay around much closer to 100MB/s.
An improvement, stayed at ~100MB/s for a little longer but stayed around 30 MB/s. There has to be a better way of doing things than from what I'm doing right? I feel like local file transfers should be a bit faster than that for having gigabit networking.

TRENDING THREADS