Question Slow Laptop With Good Specs??

kapsey

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
I have a laptop that, by all means, should run just fine. It’s a Lenovo with 8GB RAM, a 2TB HDD and an AMD Radeon R7 GPU. It only has one startup program, it’s virus-free, and barely any of the hard drive has been used.

Yet, the laptop is still incredibly slow. It takes forever to start up and it’s laggy the entire time I’m using it.

I’ve tried all the basic troubleshooting: disabling fast startup, updating the GPU and the firmware, and running a disk check, but nothing has changed.

It also has a pretty loud fan, and the temperatures have gone as high as 82 C when the computer is idle.

Any ideas as to what I should try next?

WildCard999

Titan
82C is quite warm for idle so I'd suspect that any kind of usage including startup is probably going well over 100C which could cause thermal throttling (lowering performance to prevent damage). Clean the dust from the system and it may be time to replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Getting the temps down should improve performance.

kapsey

Reputable
Jul 15, 2017
82C is quite warm for idle so I'd suspect that any kind of usage including startup is probably going well over 100C which could cause thermal throttling (lowering performance to prevent damage). Clean the dust from the system and it may be time to replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Getting the temps down should improve performance.
Thanks for the suggestion! I just took it apart, dusted it out (it wasnt too dirty) and replaced the thermal paste. Unfortunately, there’s no improvement in performance.