[SOLVED] Slow laptop

metaxabas

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi guys.
I have a problem with my laptop: it’s extremely slow and even as slow as it’s basically unusable when installing bigger sized games.
Yes, the laptop is 3 years old but I had this problem since day 1 but now I’m tired of it.
When I’m not installing anything it’s decent, even though I must refresh a few times after closing basically anything, opening firefox takes about 40 seconds so it’s pretty slow anyways but I got used to it.
But now, while installing RDR2, my gosh, it’s unusable. Just trying to open firefox takes about 3-5 minutes and it will crash anyways. It takes about 1 min just for the things like refresh to appear on the screen after right clicking and basically opening any app is a suicide mission, for example it took 10 minutes to open a program called DS4Windows(which is not a heavy app in any way).
My laptop is a Lenovo y520 (the best version) and I’ve been thinking that the problem might be the HDD and that I should get an SSD but would that fix the problem and will I be able to use the laptop like everybody else? I find it outrageous to have to wait so much for a basic task like opening chrome, my pc or even right clicking while installing a bigger game.
As the game is installing, I’m looking through task manager and the cpu is fluctuating between 60-100%, memory is at 85% and disk is at 100%. I don’t have any background apps opened either and the fans and the laptop itself is clean as a tear.
Do you think getting an SSD would make it better or is it something else? What are you guys thinking?

Solution
Yes using an SSD vs a platter drive will speed things up. But the computer acting slow while large files are being downloaded or installing is pretty normal, how often do you actually do that? Run the setup overnight.