Slow Logon

We have just introduced a trolley of 15 laptops running Win XP Pro to
our school network. These are connecting via a wireless network card
to 3Com wireless access points onto our network.
When we put 15 laptops out and then log them on simultaneously, the
first one or 2 log in within a minute, the last can take up to 8 mins
to log on. It is always on the 'applying your personal settings' part.
The logons being used use a mandatory roaming profile which is around
800kb, so I am sure profile size is not an issue.
This also happens when just one laptop is being logged on and it is
always on the 'applying personal setting' bit. Wireless is 802.11g.
The reason for posting here is that everything i have researched on
this problem points to some sort of DNS problem but where can I
start..Any help appreciated as we have just bought another 140
laptops..

In news:c843083e.0407140548.4ef9ae51@posting.google.com,
Peter Loerns <peter.loerns@westpark.derby.sch.uk> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> We have just introduced a trolley of 15 laptops running
> Win XP Pro to our school network. These are connecting
> via a wireless network card to 3Com wireless access
> points onto our network.
> When we put 15 laptops out and then log them on
> simultaneously, the first one or 2 log in within a
> minute, the last can take up to 8 mins to log on. It is
> always on the 'applying your personal settings' part. The
> logons being used use a mandatory roaming profile which
> is around 800kb, so I am sure profile size is not an
> issue.
> This also happens when just one laptop is being logged on
> and it is always on the 'applying personal setting' bit.
> Wireless is 802.11g. The reason for posting here is that
> everything i have researched on this problem points to
> some sort of DNS problem but where can I start..Any help
> appreciated as we have just bought another 140 laptops..

Are they logging into a Windows 2000 domain?
If they are it is imkperative that they ONLY use the DNS server that has the
domain's zone. This is usually on the Domain Controller but, you'd have to
post the ipconfig /all for the domain controller and a client for me to
verify this.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]