Slow memory with nVidia Chipsets?

tjjscott

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I need some help as I have been pulling my hair out over the last several years and I have come to the conclusion that an non Intel chip set Motherboard has lower memory performance than a board with an Intel Chip set. Background: I bought an ASUS P5NE-SLI Motherboard to run dual 8600GTS Video Cards about three years or so ago. Well the 650 Chipset does not support 16X per PCI-Express Slot, so I was not seeing what I had expected from the Video Card Performance via 3D Mark or from PC-Pitstop. But, what really stuck out was how slow the memory was in comparison to my Intel based systems. (9958 MB/Sec) versus (18149 MB/Sec) for my Intel X38. So, as the 680I has dropped significantly in price, I picked up an XFX 680I LT SLI, and am seeing even slower memory speeds, and still poor over-all Video Performance. Memory performance dropped to (5881 MB/Sec) using the same memory, and no matter what I do, it remains slow. I validated this runninng the PassMark Performance tests, and then compared this to other systems in their database, and it seems that all 680I chipset Motherboards have slow memory performance. I even tried various CPU's, including an E6400 and an E4600. All three of my non nVidia Systems have better memory performance per PC-Pitstop, even my old Pentium-D 920 System on an aging ASUS P5VD2-MX SE motherboard with a VIA Chipset. I have tried default settings and also optimized settings via various online articles, and have validated the FSB and Memory Speeds are correct using CPU-Z, and have tweaked with the OC Parameters which only slightly improve performance. The 650I ASUS P5NE-SLI Motherboard that I just pulled out had the same issues, and I had it overclocked and it still had bad memory performance. Question: Is this a known issue with nVidia based boards that they just do not have the memory performance that the Intel Boards do? The system is: 1. XFX 680I LT SLI with latest P08 Bios. 2. Currently: Intel E4600 CPU 3. Dual 8600GTS Asus Video Cards in SLI Mode. 4. 2 Gig Patriot Memory (DDR2 - PC2-6400) 5. And a Seagate 7200.11 160 Gig SATA Drive Thanks!

Is it 1 stick of ram or 2? What about in your intel system? This seems like the difference between single and dual channel mode as the intel system seems to have slgihtly less than twice the bandwidth of the nVidia chipset.

tjjscott

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
All three nVidia Configurations that I have (630I, 650I, 680I) use multiple sticks. The 630I only has two slots, and has two 1 Gig sticks of memory. The memory used in the 680I was moved over from the 650I, and I even swapped it with the 630I as they all have Patriot PC2-6400 1 Meg DDR2 Memory modules. I validated they are in the correct slots (Both sticks in Bank A).

The Intel Systems Are:

Game System -
Foxconn X38 Motherboard with 4 Gig of OCZ DDR2 1066 Memory (2 x 2 Gig).
E8400 CPU
2 ATI Radeon 4850's

The Wife's System -
ASUS P5VD2-MX SE Motherboard with a Pentium-D 920 and 1 Gig of DDR2 667 Memory (2 x 512K)

Both of these have higher performance, and yes, I would expect the E8400 Game System would be faster, but even the old Gen 2 Dual Core System my wife has, has memory that is still faster than the 680I. (7087 MB/Sec vs 5881 MB/Sec)

I have tried Vista, XP Pro and Windows 7, and I see only minor changes in memory performance.