[SOLVED] Slow network connection just on desktop (ethernet and WIFI)

Jun 1, 2021
Internet is slow (~20Mbps) on my new desktop (specs below), but every other device in the house is fast (300+Mbps). When I run a speed test, for about 1 second or less the speed is above 100Mbps and then dips to around 20. This happens regardless of wired or using the mobo's wifi card. It's not just browsers, but all apps like Dropbox Desktop app and Adobe Creative Cloud app. I pay for a 940Mbps plan and ISP tech came to today and confirmed I'm getting as much of that as possible in my area. Any help or tips would be appreciated. I deal with large video files everyday for work and these speeds are killing me. I've been using my laptop just to send/receive files since the desktop is just too slow.

LFkfJLz.png

What I've tried:
  • I've tested multiple cat6 cables and above on my laptop and they are all good.
  • There are no threats detected in any scans of the desktop I've done.
  • On the Network Status settings page, I did the "Network Reset" option at the bottom
  • In the Proxy settings, I unchecked "Automatically detect settings"
  • Uninstalled a lot of software, but there's not that much to begin with except Adobe Creative Cloud apps, Chrome, and networking apps like Slack for work.
  • ISP Tech came to check the connection and said all was good, but he wasn't allowed to touch my computer to troubleshoot
Computer Specs:
MOBO ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
RAM: G.SKILL 4x32GB TridentZ 3600
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia GTX980Ti
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
Modem: zyxel c3000z
OS Drive: 1TB m.2
Active project drive: 1TB m.2
Archive array: 3x4TB HDD RAID 0 array
Archive backup: 12TB HDD
External backup: 12TB WD Elements HDD

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Can you check and see what OS version you're currently on? Ideally you should be on 21H1 for Windows 10. As for the drivers, try reinstalling all networking drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've uninstalled them.

You should reinstall your chipset drivers prior to reinstalling your networking drivers.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Can you check and see what OS version you're currently on? Ideally you should be on 21H1 for Windows 10. As for the drivers, try reinstalling all networking drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've uninstalled them.

You should reinstall your chipset drivers prior to reinstalling your networking drivers.

Solution
Jun 1, 2021
...try reinstalling all networking drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've uninstalled them.

Thanks! I was able to update the chipset drivers, but it turned out to be some pre-installed software intended to help gamers tweak system settings for the best gaming experience, but the app was restricting network usage for non-game apps. Once uninstalled speed jumped to 800+ Mbps.