[SOLVED] Slow Network Speeds

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
If I transfer a video across my network I'm only getting about 10 mbps to my android box via a wired connection and about the same to my laptop on wifi which seems slow to me.

Videos are on a NAS, plugged into a switch which is connected to the router which is a TP Link Archer MR200 router .. the Lan ports I believe are 10/100 via a Cat6 cable to a TP Link TL-SG1005D switch and another Cat 6 cable to the Android.
If I transfer them onto my PC instead they go from the NAS to the switch, to the router where my PC's also plugged in and I get approx 50 mbps onto a drive via a USB 2 port.

I thought it may have been the write speed of the Android that was limiting it so copied some videos onto a portable USB 3 drive and plugged it into the Android and transferred the files across at about 70 mbps.

Anyone any ideas what could be slowing it down or is that the speed that video files transfer at?

Solution
It is going to be hard to tell if you have network issues or issue with the nas or some other software.

I would use a old line mode network test program called IPERF. It is really simplistic and it not affected by cpu/memory/disk etc. You would load this on your laptop and on your pc. I would then start with plugging both devices into the switch. If everything is working correctly you should get over 900mbps transfer rates. You can test other ports and cables to see if anything changes. You should be able to find any bad cables this way.

Since your router only has 10/100 ports if you were to connect either of you pc to the router you will only see about 95mbps to the other machine.

I think that switch indicates the...

kanewolf

Titan
Anything connected to the TL-SG1005D should have gigabit connectivity. So the NAS, the PC and the Android box would all be better plugged into the switch with a single uplink to the router. Limit the number 100Mbit devices unless they are only 100Mbit capable. Use the 5Ghz wireless on the router for any devices that support 5Ghz to maximize their wireless throughput.

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
I've done this in 2 stages ..... I swapped out my new Cat6 cables from the router to the switch and the switch to the androind and instantly the speeds went up to around 18mbps so I'm guessing these are just really poor quality cheap cables.

I've then done as you've suggested and moved the NAS and plugged it into the TL-SG1005D and it's jumped to 28mbps .... should I still be getting quicker than that??

I also have another router coming off the switch which is used as a wireless access point for Wifi to the rest of the house, my laptop connected to this on 5Ghz only gets about 12Mbps.

It is going to be hard to tell if you have network issues or issue with the nas or some other software.

I would use a old line mode network test program called IPERF. It is really simplistic and it not affected by cpu/memory/disk etc. You would load this on your laptop and on your pc. I would then start with plugging both devices into the switch. If everything is working correctly you should get over 900mbps transfer rates. You can test other ports and cables to see if anything changes. You should be able to find any bad cables this way.

Since your router only has 10/100 ports if you were to connect either of you pc to the router you will only see about 95mbps to the other machine.

I think that switch indicates the speed by the color of the led. Many are yellow or green. You need to check the manual to see which color means what.

Reactions: Witterings
Solution

Witterings

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2016
@bill001g .... Very useful although I haven't used on this occasion as my laptop's WiFi only and my PC buried away in a place that makes it hard to take it to where it needs to be plugged to run the tests but am sure I'll us it in the future.

@kanewolf ... I did the 2nd part of this having checked the other switch I had was gigabit capable.
I now have one set of devices on a switch that used to be connected directly to the router and a 2nd switch set up the same (for location reasons and to save numerous long cables everywhere) but have now plugged one switch into the other which has massively increased the whole of the network transfer speeds and then just a single connection to the slower router port which is limited by the pipe that comes into the property anyway house anyway.

Cheers for both of your help .... Much appreciated!!