Slow On Startup

When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it usually
takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is noise in
the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both Ad-Aware and
Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this does not seem to
help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix?

mwm wrote:
> When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it usually
> takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is noise in
> the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both Ad-Aware and
> Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this does not seem to
> help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? How much memory
does your system have? What operating system are you running? Have you
done a thorough defrag lately?

To answer your questions:

Free Space: 65GB
Memory: 256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (2-128MB modules)
Operating System: Windows XP
Recent Defrag: Today (5/25/05)
Gateway Unit: 500X (purchased June 2003)

Thanks

mwm

"gdp" <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> mwm wrote:
>> When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it
>> usually takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is
>> noise in the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both
>> Ad-Aware and Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this
>> does not seem to help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and
>> how I can fix?
> How much free space do you have on your hard drive? How much memory does
> your system have? What operating system are you running? Have you done a
> thorough defrag lately?

And my favorite question because people do it so seldom: Have you removed all
the stinking termporary files in the %temp% folder???? ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:21:03 -0500, gdp <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote:

>mwm wrote:
>> When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it usually
>> takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is noise in
>> the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both Ad-Aware and
>> Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this does not seem to
>> help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix?
>>

>How much free space do you have on your hard drive? How much memory
>does your system have? What operating system are you running? Have you
>done a thorough defrag lately?

256MB is a little light for XP, IMHO, but it should not cause a 20 minute system
boot-up time.

Also try Spybot to remove varmints and hijackthis to see which programs are
running when the system starts up... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:01:14 -0400, "mwm" <mwmaxwell@comcast.net> wrote:

>To answer your questions:
>
>Free Space: 65GB
>Memory: 256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (2-128MB modules)
>Operating System: Windows XP
>Recent Defrag: Today (5/25/05)
>Gateway Unit: 500X (purchased June 2003)
>
>Thanks
>

>mwm
>
>"gdp" <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>> mwm wrote:
>>> When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it
>>> usually takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is
>>> noise in the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both
>>> Ad-Aware and Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this
>>> does not seem to help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and
>>> how I can fix?
>> How much free space do you have on your hard drive? How much memory does
>> your system have? What operating system are you running? Have you done a
>> thorough defrag lately?

tanya

mwm wrote:

> When I turn my Gateway on from sleep mode after an all-night rest it usually
> takes about 20 minutes before it fully powers up. While there is noise in
> the tower everything is very sluggish. I have fired up both Ad-Aware and
> Norton Anti-Virus scan (which takes about 2 hours) but this does not seem to
> help solve my problem. Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix?

hi,
longShot but...
in the bios do you have an option under 'boot' to enable quickBoot mode?
try enabling it

reason: i had similar problems on another (not a gw) brand pc (s.l.o.w. booting
and in windows (3+ hours to run a 15 min av, etc.))
there was an option in the bios (to enable system cache fwiw) which i enabled
which fixed it.(i.e. it was a bios setting which seriously also affected
windows)
if your bios has other possibly auto items try enabling (or post them)
hth
p.s. write down any settings you might change before doing so!