[SOLVED] Slow one-way transfer speed between internal and external HDD

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
As far as I know this has only recently started to happen (recently beingyesterday), as the issue was non-existent before. Files take a lot longer to transfer to the external, compared to when I'm moving files from the external.

When trying to move a file onto the external hard drive, the transfer speed peaks at a massive 355KB/s. But when moving a file from the external hard drive I get around 100MB/s, with the lowest being 90MB/s.

I haven't had a lot of time to look for fixes, so I've only tried a defrag and that came up clean. Is this an issue with the drive? Is there any obvious reason for this to happen?

Just some info; the drive is formatted to NTFS, 1TB, using USB 3.0.

Solution
Microsoft recently disabled write caching on external drives thru an update so that you can simply unplug them when done with the write. With caching on you needed to 'Eject' the drive to ensure the write had really finished. This is contributing to your slowness as well.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're on Windows 10(or any other OS) with an anti virus active, it's possible that the drive is being accessed and is being scanned for malware or potential threats. You might also want to see if reinstalling your chipset and/or USB drives changes your experience.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

popatim

Titan
Microsoft recently disabled write caching on external drives thru an update so that you can simply unplug them when done with the write. With caching on you needed to 'Eject' the drive to ensure the write had really finished. This is contributing to your slowness as well.

Solution

leolamaa

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014

Thank you! This fixed it :D