slow or no network with MN-500

Jos

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004

I had a wired network (Sweex router) with 2 computers and
one laptop over Ethernet cable. Sharing internet and
transfering files worked OK.
Switched over to MN500 because I want to laptop to
connect wireless. Internet works fine over all computers.
The two wired computers now only see eachother after
several minutes of waiting and each change in folders
again takes minutes. Laptop can´t see any of the shared
folders on the other computers.
Reconnecting the Sweex router solves all problems...
What´s wrong?

Probably the wireless is misconfigured or there is
interference from other wireless sources (phones,
microwave, refrigerator). When this happens, NetBIOS
repeats broadcasts over the network slowing everything down.

Before anything elese, you want to check for any firewall
or ICF running on any of the computers. Disable them. This
blocks NetBIOS and creates huge slowdowns.

Then, since the system was working fine on the previous
router, change the MN500 LAN IP to match the LAN IP of your
previous router -- by default the MN500 is on 192.168.2.1
-- notice the 2, which is different from other vendors. If
you set it the same LAN IP, then the settings you already
have should work fine, except maybe for wireless.

Check the TCP/IP stack for the wireless computer -- you
should have at least two settings (one for the wired
connection and one for the wireless). Make the wireless
properties similar to the wired.

Finally, check that the wifi card and the router are using
the same channel. Put the router vertical and away of
walls. Wifi is like old time radios with poor reception.
Moving the devices slightly sometimes improves reception.
You also want to try changing the channel from 6 to 1, or
11 and see if that helps.