Slow PC after windows 8 reset

bryanw20

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
So my son bought a HP desktop, open box, from Sam's Club about a month ago. He's been going crazy downloading games to it, and of course things not needed like toolbars etc.

When I brought it home first thing I did was find the factory reset feature and did that (I didn't think to make a recover DVD at this time tho). 2nd thing was to install Macafee Internet Security (free through my ISP); but I'm not real sure it works with Win8, or works that well.

Not sure what caused it, something installed, or windows update, whatever, but IE started crashing within seconds of opening; and I couldn't get Family Safe to work at all.

So now a month later I decide I'm going to start over again & install Kaspersky that came with my new laptop (3 PC license); So I do another factory reset, then a refresh windows, then finally a reset from the bios/boot menu as the first 2 still had IE crashing instantly; before we could install anything else! (Making me think it was something in a windows update?)

So the boot menu reset finally got IE working; still can't get family safe working (apparently doesn't work in Win8) But Kaspersky Family whatever does work.

But now the whole PC is sluggish! Click IE, Chrome, games, whatever and it takes 20-30 seconds to even begin opening them! And this PC was blazing fast before this series of resets. (I did make a dvd backup as soon as I got it running this time) I even did a refresh windows again to see if it would help, and it does not. It is slow on any user logged in, me (as admin) or child account.

It also was very slow to transfer files from a USB3 HDD back to the internal drive, like 20hrs+ to transfer 40-50GB of data!

Suggestions on what to do to fix it?

HP AMD quad core, 8GB ram, 2TB drive

Possibly a conflict between Kaspersky and Windows Defender. Shortly prior to W8 launch M'soft delivered Security Essentials, a stand alone free Antivirus. In their wisdom they incorporated it into Windows Defender, and for most it would be all the protection you need. (It's all I have, and no viruses so far!) Meanwhile it's not recommended to run two antivirus at once, so I suggest you uninstall Kaspersky and rely on Defender, it does the job without any annoying pop-ups and without any appreciable effect on performance...

bryanw20

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure it was slow befoer I got Kaspersky installed too.

How do I uninstall windows defender ( I want the internet filter & hours on the PC tat K is allowing me to set that family safe is not!)