Slow pc performance

Mar 15, 2018
Ok so I'm not sure this is the right area but components seemed ok... I have a pc i built myself i used an Asus Crosshair V Formula Z 990fx board with an AMD FX9590 CPU with Antec water cooler and a Samsung 500gb SSD and 32GB of 1600mhz ddr3 ram. Oh and my PSU is a EVGA Gold series 850W.

Now I first bought a Asus RX480 because my whole life I've bled red and love ATI/AMD. Recently I have finally broke down and admitted to myself that Intel makes better CPU's and Nvidia makes better GPU's. So I bought a EVGA GTX 980 TI Hybrid with the self contained water cooling. I assumed I could run both GPU's at the same time not SLI or CF obviously but pretty much I wanted to use the RX for mining and the GTX for gaming.

I downloaded the newest driver and software from EVGA and have the GTX plugged into my monitor. Now my PC is running slow like how you move the mouse across or scroll a webpage and it looks like when you move your hand under a strobelight. I would normally think thats a CPU issue but seeing its just happened with the new GTX I'm not sure what the issue is.

In MSI Afterburner the GTX is constantly going gfrom 0% to 100% really fast up and down and the RX was doing the same but between like 20% to 80%. I disabled the RX 480 in device manager and now the GTX is going between 50% to 100. it looks like a fast heartbeat monitor.

So question is- is this caused by the gpu and why is it constantly jumping between 50 and 100%
when I'm just browsing the web?
Im getting irritated with this whole setup and about to start over with a X299 chipset I am so done with AMD as of now.

[Edited by moderator for easier reading -- not enough paragraphs]

BadDragon

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Newer chipset motherboards like 1151, am4, etc have better compatibility with multiple gpus of different brands working in the same system. The old am3+ chipset may have had problems doing that. Myself, I have an am4 socket motherboard and have had a GTX 1060 and an RX 47 running at the same time with no issues. You could try swapping them around in the pcie slots to see if that helps, also uninstall all the graphics drivers and install them both fresh, getting the card in the top slot going first, then installing the second card and driver's after the first is working. Alternatively, get literally the cheapest pc you can online and pop the amd card into it to mine with, as mining takes almost no resources beyond the gpu. Alternatively alternatively, don't mine and just run the one card, mining is getting more difficult on all fronts and yields are lower. It raises your electricity bill by a lot more than you'd make, plus it introduces unnecessary heat into the system and extra strain on your PSU which could end up burning it out early, which of course would cause it's own problems.

Don't bash amd cause it was never meant to do a thing, look online for other people running Nvidia and amd cards at the same time and see how they're doing it.