[SOLVED] Slow PC

Jul 12, 2021
Hi, I have a "special" problem. I bought my factory refurbished computer half a year ago. I am a casual player, so I don't need to run games on the highest details and have 200 fps but medium details with at least 100fps. I like to play Apex, Lol, Wow, Diablo and OW. The issue is that every game seems to have "micro lags". I mean that am playing and suddenly my screen is stuck on one frame for a second or longer. I hear the sounds of what's going in the background but I don't see s**t. Even in menus, it's happening.
A surprising fact for me was when I downloaded OW and Rocket league and both games are absolutely unplayable on my pc. It can run apex on the lowest details 60-100 fps but OW is too much for it somehow. Please give me some tips on which components should I upgrade and ignore my bad English. Thanks for your time!
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.30 GHz
Motherboard: MEDION B85M-E
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
Memory: 16 GB ram

Solution
I would take a look at your unlisted storage devices. More and more games are requiring SSDs to be playable, you might be experiencing stutters from the game engine trying load things from disk (hdd or ssd). If your SSD is nearly full, this is also a problem. The drive would no longer have room for TRIM functions or for simulating faster types of memory. If you are above 80% full on any drive, consider replacing the drive with a larger one and clone your system to the new drive.

As always, monitor temperatures. If your system hasn't been maintenanced since you got it, consider a thorough cleaning, replacing thermal compound on the CPU cooler. Confirming that all fans are working properly.

If you have a lower quality power supply, this...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would take a look at your unlisted storage devices. More and more games are requiring SSDs to be playable, you might be experiencing stutters from the game engine trying load things from disk (hdd or ssd). If your SSD is nearly full, this is also a problem. The drive would no longer have room for TRIM functions or for simulating faster types of memory. If you are above 80% full on any drive, consider replacing the drive with a larger one and clone your system to the new drive.

As always, monitor temperatures. If your system hasn't been maintenanced since you got it, consider a thorough cleaning, replacing thermal compound on the CPU cooler. Confirming that all fans are working properly.

If you have a lower quality power supply, this might also be a good time to replace it as it is probably well into or beyond its guaranteed lifespan.

GTX1650 should be adequate for everything you listed.

Quad core only is getting a little dated, you might want to consider saving for a replacement CPU, Motherboard, and RAM in the near future. We are at the end of the DDR4 cycle, you still have DDR3 (DDR5 systems should be available late this year and certainly next year)

Solution
What system do you have exactly?

Some of the older Dell Optiplex systems will take a standard ATX power supply. I know this because I got one for my wife at home and upgraded it to a 600 watt EVGA Bronze that I had as a spare. You may also check to see if your system was ever shipped with an i7. An i7 4770s for example on ebay is running about 60 if you get one from China, though I can't guarantee if those are real. Looks like the others are 85-100.

But if you even got something like that, and an ssd if you don't have one yet, 1tb can be found for 80-100 bucks. But I've even seen some for 70 for a 1tb on ebay if you're really trying to save cash. However, you'd be advised to go with a brand name.

As an example though, you could grab something like this.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133786732294?hash=item1f264f8706:g:su4AAOSw171gr-B2&LH_BIN=1

Yes, that's a year older, it's a 3 series cpu, but does have an i7 3770, which should be enough for a 1650 I would think it would be powerful enough, transplant your gpu, ram etc into it and roll on, or resell your system as is with 8gb of ram after wiping your data. I think I saw a 4 series tower for 200.

Last edited: