[SOLVED] Slow performance on a GTX 1080ti

Jan 7, 2019
Hey guys, I've been having some perfomance issues recently in games and would like to narrow down what my bottleneck might be, I'm currently playing on a 4K monitor (which i do understand is quite demanding) with the following PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
MOBO: Asrock Fatal1ty H97 Performance
GPU: Asus ROG GTX 1080TI Strix RGB
RAM: 1x8GB + 1x4GB (Two sticks, not sure of the brand tbh)
PSU: Cooler Master V650-650W Modular
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 4TB

I intend to upgrade my CPU to an intel core i9 9900k with a motherboard to support it, and some new ram, hopefully 4x8GB of G.Skill Trident Z or Corsair.

For the sake of both curiosity and education, which part of my build would be bottlecking my performance the most? For example, I have found it very dificult to find a consistent FPS in Assassin's Creed Odyssey in both 4k and 1080p on Medium to Ultra settings.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution

Yeah, different ram working together can be finicky.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I seem to remember seeing lots of complaints about AC Odyssey running terribly no matter what your specs are.

Your CPU should be fine for the majority of games, especially if you're gaming at 4K, but might bog down a bit in a certain CPU-heavy ones. Your RAM configuration is sub-optimal.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at Task Manager or Resource Monitor.

Pick on or the other and observe your system's activity for a few minutes and seems stable.

Then slide the window to one side but leave the window open. Game as usual.

You may be able to spot the bottleneck - especially, as suggested, if CPU and/or RAM are involved.

I would lean towards the RAM.

Reason: "RAM: 1x8GB + 1x4GB (Two sticks, not sure of the brand tbh)"

How are the RAM slots populated? And do try to find the brand and specs for all modules.

Jan 7, 2019

My Ram Is in alternating slots, (Ram, No Ram, Ram, No Ram) In terms of specs, all I know is that they are DDR3, not sure about speed and cant check as I'm in work at the moment.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2019

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Give this Hotfix driver a go too. I've noticed better performance in Farcry 5 (1080Ti) with this compared to 416.34 driver i was on.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091660/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-417-58-released-12-28-18-/

Hot fix driver is still complete driver it's more beta version to fix issues 417.35 had. If you try it, let it do a clean install or use DDU.

Another tip is not use Geforce Experience if you do to install driver or optimise your games. It doesn't do a good job and often sets settings too high ie; scaling/dsr. Can adjust how GE optimises with the quality slider but i prefer setting games myself.

Jan 7, 2019

Turns out I had the 8gb stick in the 2nd slot and the 4gb stick in the 4th slot, I've switched them now, is there anything I need to do in BIOS regarding this?

Jan 7, 2019

CPU-Z is telling me Dual Channel. One strange thing is that when monitoring Task Manager while gaming, the ram monitor seems to show only 9GB of available memory, and most games will get pretty close to using that.

My 8GB stick is Crucial brand and as it's quite old and DDR3, I can't imagine it'd be very fast. I'll be completely replacing my Ram either this week or next depending on when my new Gigabyte Aorus Pro Mobo arives. I'm planning to use 2x8GB DDR4 in slots A2 and B2 and eventually populating A1 and B1 with another 2 8gb sticks totalling 32GB in all four slots. I also plan to purchase an i9 9900k CPU this week, do you think I could see a significant perfomance increase with these new components? Also, is my PSU in need of an upgrade or is 650w fine to run both an i9 9900k and a GTX 1080ti?

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, different ram working together can be finicky.

9900k system will be very powerful. I would recommend changing that psu firstly, 650w is enough but updating it especially if it's an old unit. Corsair Rm, HX-i, Evga Supernova G2/G3 to name a few are solid units.

Regarding ram, it's not always guaranteed different sets will work together so if you can afford 2x 16GB that would be better. If not, just be aware of possible incompatibilities.

---

If you do replace the psu, keep in mind none of the modular cables can be re-used. Pinouts can vary (not set standard) and mixing modular cables delivering power has high potential of shorting components. Atx 24pin, Cpu, Sata, Pcie, and case fans. Only cables can re-use are data cables.

Solution
Jan 7, 2019

With my Ram, I'll be completely replacing my current ram to avoid incompatibilities, most likely with g.skill trident z. Regarding my PSU, i only bought it maybe midway through last year so i cant imagine it would be having any degradation issues.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Psu should be fine then.

With your ram you're going to have to, ddr3 is obsolete on these new platforms. I meant if you bought 2x 8GB Gskill's now and buy another set of Gskill's later they all may not work together. Those bought in a set have been tested for compatibility between them.