[SOLVED] Slow performance on M.2 SSD

Apr 7, 2021
I upgraded my Dell Optiplex 5050 by replacing the standard HDD boot drive with a WD Green 240GB PCIe SSD. For the majority of tasks (booting, everyday activity) it is lightning fast, but I've noticed that when working with larger files for video editing or transferring/unzipping large files, performance seems to really slow down. The SSD frequently maxes out at 100% in the task mgr causing a bottleneck and the system grinds to a halt. What's happening?

These are the results of the AS SSD Benchmark: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J9JmNGKbR2_yYzDD9MgtRNXcS2zxfHLL/view?usp=sharing

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Could it be related to the BIOS settings, driver or controller?

Thanks,
Dan

===
Dell Optiplex 5050
Windows 10
i7-7700 @3.60GHZ
16GB RAM
WD Green™ SATA SSD M.2 2280 240GB

Solution
Anything with the word "Green" in it from WD is not something you want for performance.

if dealing with large files you want more than 240GB, generally speaking the bigger the drive, the more cache/speed it has.

I would suggest replacing it with a larger 1TB NVME drive.

Be sure this next SSD is an NVME!!!!!!You will get more like 3000/mbs instead of 500.

If it not too late I would return the Green 240gb.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Anything with the word "Green" in it from WD is not something you want for performance.

if dealing with large files you want more than 240GB, generally speaking the bigger the drive, the more cache/speed it has.

I would suggest replacing it with a larger 1TB NVME drive.

Be sure this next SSD is an NVME!!!!!!You will get more like 3000/mbs instead of 500.

If it not too late I would return the Green 240gb.

Reactions: prahadan
Solution
Apr 7, 2021
Super helpful, thanks for your replies.

The WD Green has been a big upgrade on the previous HDD boot drive in general, so I'm happy enough for now. As I did the upgrade myself, I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't made an error in the setup that was causing the SSD to slow down when working with larger files, but it sounds like the benchmark stats are to be expected for this setup.