Question Slow performance with random tasks

Mar 7, 2023
Hi folks,

not sure if this is the correct thread, please move it if needed.

I have 2 PCs.
One 7+ years old (i5-3570, 16GB ram, 850EVO ssd for OS, hdd for files) with windows 7, that I use for daily tasks, office and web.
I then have another machine that I bought last year, mainly for photo/video work. It has Ryzen 9 5900 12-core cpu, 64GB ram, RTB3060, one Samsung PM9A1 SSD 1TB drive for OS, another for cache, another one for active files, and some regular hdd for storage. Windows 10. And with this PC I'm having performance "problems".

Example: I open a folder in windows explorer that has some psd files (1GB+ each) and some jpg files (100-1000KB). The view in folder is set to thumbnails.
When the folder is opened, windows is starting to build thumbnails for all the files in the folder (the green bar on top appears). If I then double click on one jpg file to open it in full view, the Windows Photos viewer will open, but with a white screen, no image. After 10-15 seconds, the image will appear. The delay is due to windows building up preview thumbnails in the background, I imagine. BUT, the same thing does not happen on my i5 machine. If I do the same thing, there will be 1-3second delay, but the image will open a lot faster. Like my new machine can't multitask as good or something.

Another example: when I double click on a psd file, photoshop will open in 2-3 second, then 2-5 seconds nothing happens, then I hear cpu fans ramp up, then the opening dialog will show up and finally the image. Again, a delay due to cpu/fans?

And it's things like that. My new machine feels slower, less responsive then my old, a lot weaker machine.
Even just clicking on one folder to view the content. It takes 1-3 seconds tostart showing the files, even in list or details view. With 12-cores, 64GB ram and fast SSD, I would image this should happens almost instantly, 1 second max.
Keep in mind, this work machine is clean, freashly build, only work software on it, has no web connection, etc. My old one is full of "junk", tons of programs etc.. :)

Anyhow, anyone has any idea what could be wrong or what should I do?

Thanks in advance,
Mat

Is this a new development or has the new machine always had this problem?

You say you bought it last year and you say it is freshly built, so I'm not clear how old the installation is.

Have you dug into Task Manager to see what is occupying the disk or the CPU?

Have you recently done a virus and malware scan?

Mar 7, 2023
Is this a new development or has the new machine always had this problem?

You say you bought it last year and you say it is freshly built, so I'm not clear how old the installation is.

Have you dug into Task Manager to see what is occupying the disk or the CPU?

Have you recently done a virus and malware scan?

I would say always. The thing is, I use this machine 2-3x a week for photo/video work only, so Photoshop, Lightroom, Davinci resolve.. I also have performance issues with Adobe programs, but that's Adobe's fault. I rarely use it for "office" work, so don't notice problems like this often, but when I do, it's freaking annoying.

With freshly build I meant I only have essential programs on it (less then 15 I would say), all updated, same with OS. OS was installed when bought.

I have task manager open almost all the time.. performance stays below 3% for cpu/gpu, about 5% for ssd and goes to 100% for hdd if browsing from hdd.

PC is offline 99% of the time, I connect it to the web 1-2x a month for updates. I have a firewall and avast antivirus and do sometimes scan it. Nothing was ever found.

Also, I just remembered..
  • When I click on a folder that is on m.2 ssd it doesn't show files straight away, I get a blue timer on my cursor for about a second, and then the files in the folder appear. No matter the content of the folder. And this happens even if I click back to the folder I was just in. Like clicking between A and B folder (A-B-A-B-A-B,...), there's always the same delay. I don't have that on my old machine. I click on any folder and the content appears instantly on the right side. On the new machine there's always a short delay :/
  • Sometimes when I open windows explorer, it kinda freezes.. I get a white explorer window, after 2-5 seconds the pc structure/files will appear.
  • I've also noticed once or twice, when I open explorer I have "this PC" which I can't expand, it doesn't show any drives. I have to close it and open it up again to view drives/files.
For bigger tasks the new pc will crush the old one of course, there's no comparisson. But for this small, random, fast, office things.. Like using a sword (new pc) instead of a letter opener (old pc) for opening a letter.