Slow program start up, Totally fine running

TheRealTenman

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Basically, my PC is slow to load any new program. Windows,

I can run games fine once they start but they can take upwards of 10 minutes to start.

I can see my blank desktop background on start up then it loads the taskbar and shortcuts after about 60 seconds.

Looking at task manager, which is also slow to load, I can see nothing is maxing out anything on performance. All of the programs just stay at 0% CPU usage.

Even windows slows to the point of saying explorer.exe is not responding. End task or wait?
Just for laughs I told it to cancel once and all it did was remove my taskbar.

Can all of this be caused by just hard drives? Because they seem to do it even when not in the red.
They defrag automatically daily.

Also another thing which may be related is I can delete large files near instantly but if its a series of small files they take ages. As if the size is not what matters but the number of files.

But the weirdest thing is, once they start, they run fine. Need to load something in the program? No worries. Need to save or delete something? Fine. Need to open a new folder or menu? You are going to need to wait for about 2 minutes for the menu to respond.

Worst part is it isn't the same for every program or every day... That is, its fairly random. Some are worse than others always but still varies. For instance, right now I've had FarCry 2 loading for about 30 minutes, most games are about 5-10 minutes. Google chrome takes about 2, firefox 60 seconds.

Any advice would be awesome, this is driving me nuts.

Speccy specs in case they are needed:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz 33 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-P (LGA1151) 35 °C
Graphics
CVTE TV (1824x1026@60Hz)
Acer CB280HK (3840x2160@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte) 47 °C
Storage
223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SATA-2 (SSD)) 29 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA ) 33 °C
465GB Crucial CT500BX100SSD1 (SATA (SSD)) 26 °C

i seen damaged bit defender anti virus do this i also seen damaged windows and virus do this.
i would use msconfig and then go to windows start up tab and turn everything off. see if anything changes at post. if not try safe mode. if the pc starts booting better check in programs for fake programs/virus installers. run malware bytes and few free online virus scans. use hd tune check your drives health. use the wd test tools to check your hard drive. make sure your mb has the newest bios and use cpu-z make sure your mb has the ram speed set right.

TheRealTenman

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Hmm, in startup programs, there is a program called program and is not measured.... Suspect or just microsoft being retarded?

It was extremely quick in safe mode. So I started checking the apps and programs thing.

THere are a hell of a lot of programs that have nothing to uninstall so I cant get rid of them...

MalwareBytes picks up nothing...