Slow Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I have the http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4953#ov
With just 1 ssd in ahci mode everything is very fast, windows 10 pro 64bit.
I have 2ssds and i try to raid but.......
I installed 2 ssds, on sata port 0 and on sata port 1. Samsung 850pro 256GB and sandisk extreme pro 240GB.
Restart, tab delete,enter bios, set raid, save and exit, Alt+I, create raid0 stripe 128kb finish restart.
Starting format and windows installation using fast usb3 pendrive.
BUT the windows installation is veeeery slow and after finishing everything in windows is slooooow.
Do i make anything wrong, do i forgot anything?
Thank you!

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Try running a benchmark and see what your read and write speeds are to make sure it's actually the SSDs causing the slow performance.
It could be that one of the drives is performing faster than the other and you're experiencing microstuddering while the other drive is waiting for the slower one to catch up.

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
If you're already running windows on the RAID it should be okay. I'd make sure they're using the intel controller though. If they're using another than that might be deterring performance.

As far as the "99.9% identical on speed\performance" that's 100% untrue.
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB/Rating/2385
http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Pro-240GB/Rating/2356
The 850 Pro is significantly faster.
About 8% faster sequential read/writes and 17% faster 4K Queue.
When you're talking about stripes of 128kbs then think of how much that Samsung is having to hold back and wait.

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
RAID drivers allow windows to see your RAID array, if you installed windows on the RAID array already then you don't need to install the drivers. However, once they are able to be seen, how they are interacted with is through the RAID controller. I have seen when Windows will use a different controller for some reason and it can have massive impacts on performance.

Please run a benchmark on your RAID Array so we have an idea of what performance, controller, etc you are working with right now.

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

So, maybe this is the real problem then?

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Ok, is it a good idea to buy one more Samsung 850pro 256GB and Raid0?
Samsung 850pro 256GB + Samsung 850pro 256GB.
Do i get a double speed in real world usage?

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
You could use them as separate drives. Keep one for your OS and programs and the other for games and data. If your system doesn't support TRIM it'll keep it fast longer and it'll make reinstalling windows easier as a majority of your info will be on the other drive.

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Ok, is it a good idea to buy one more Samsung 850pro 256GB and Raid0?
Samsung 850pro 256GB + Samsung 850pro 256GB.
Is there a real benefit in real world usage from raid 0? I mean on speed\performance etc.

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
You won't get double the speed, but you'll probably see a 60-80% increase in performance. But there's a lot of other considerations. I'd really like you to benchmark your current RAID config and see what we can do about it currently as if there's another outlying problem you might still see a bad performance in your RAID config with identical drives.

EDIT: Do you have Intel Rapid Storage software running?

RAID 0 is not worth the hassle, its faster, but not so you'd notice, it's more than twice as likely to fail. Do you have daily backups? Just have an OS and key programs disk, and an other programs and some data disk, and a spinning disk for when you don't care about access speed.

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Ok.
This is now is not raid is just a single ssd in ahci mode with windows 10 pro 64bit.
This ssd is brand new i bought it few days ago.
Do you see anything wrong with it?
http://postimg.org/gallery/jkvivbfw/d9e7cbff/

affinitydesigns

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm on my work computer so I can't see the link but if it's a picture of the SSD you wouldn't be able to see any physical issues on the surface.

As far as not seeing performance differences between an SSD and SSDs in RAID 0, that's retarded. That's like saying there's no difference in a SATA SSD and a PCI-E SSD in their speed increases.
If that was true, no one would pay the premium for PCI-E SSDs.

pantomshardware

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

No more raid,i give up raid these now are single. I thing Samsung is better faster and ill use it as my OS drive. Now i need to find something useful for the Sandisc to do.
http://postimg.org/gallery/2hy79sfjg/

howarddavidp

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
This is an issues with the newer Samsung drives using 3D NAND chips. They do not do well in any type of RAID situation, be it RAID0 or RAID1 even.

Hello,

I too have the same problem, where my Samsung drives will get 500MB/s reads and write when attached to a single SATA port, but if I put 2 drives in RAID0, the speeds drop to less than 200MB/s for reads and writes.

My PC has 4 x Crucial SSD's from 2012 (the M4 series SSDs). They would get around 800MB/s reads and write on a LSI 9260-8i controller on a MSI-7522 motherboard with a Xeon X5670 2.93 CPU (clocked to 4GHz). So, this is not a slow machine, and I thought I would upgrade the SSD's in RAID0 to get faster speeds. Well, I have read on other sites of people having the same problem with Samsung drives. I used 2 x 500GB EVO drives, and they do better as single drives in JBOD than in any type of array.

The answer I keep finding is the 3d NAND chips have issues when being placed under another controller, and they don;t handle it well so the speeds are drastically slowed. Funny that a MAC user is seeing the same problem that PC folks are having, which rules out the OS or configuration or the SATA controller, as all those are different and the only common factor is the Samsung EVO drives.

Good luck, but you are in the same boat and until someone makes a controller or drive fix to enable these new EVO drives to run at full speed when in an array you will have to use them as JBOD, sorry to bring the bad news. There are people in the MAC forums talking about the same issues, as well as several other sites, so it is the Samsung drive causing the slowness. If you try the same Smasung drive attached as a single SATA device, you should get around 500MB/s reads and writes. Try and mirror the same drive with another identical one, and you will get less than 200MB/s. A simpel mirror should not slow down a drive that much, and a RAID0 stipe should increase the speed instead of decrease it...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.