Slow read/write speeds on Samsung 860 EVO - Dell Optiplex 980 Upgrade

Dec 22, 2018
Hi, I recently took an Optiplex 980 SFF, put in an i7 quad core, a decent GPU, 16GB RAM, and installed windows 10 onto a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, most of my gaming files are stored on a Toshiba 1TB hard disk drive however connected using a disk mount via usb-C to standard usb.

I am noticing my bench read/write speeds are low compared to the 500mb/s I should be getting.

https://imgur.com/a/1HYNule

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I read though all the other forums, but I have a feeling this might be motherboard related. I tried both SATA ports, same thing. The other forum read had some settings things to do but that was for Windows 7, so want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

I really don't use this computer for anything other that gaming and some stock trading, and like I said most of that goes onto the solid disk drive anyway, but just curious if I am blatantly doing something wrong or have some setting off. I ran the intel driver thing and I am up to date.

Thanks,

Austin M

Solution
Optiplex 980 only has sata2, you need sata3 to get the High sequential speeds you see in benchmarks. Keep in mind you will still see a nice performance boost from the drives 4k random speeds which are only in the mid 30's mb/s but still 100x faster then an HDD.

popatim

Titan
Optiplex 980 only has sata2, you need sata3 to get the High sequential speeds you see in benchmarks. Keep in mind you will still see a nice performance boost from the drives 4k random speeds which are only in the mid 30's mb/s but still 100x faster then an HDD.

Solution
Dec 22, 2018

ahh thats would make sense my friend, thanks a lot.