Slow response time on laptop on mifi

Laskoir

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Ok so due to poor cabling in my area i opt for using mifi / mobile broadband at home. I have a tp link router with my data sim plugged into it. Standard setup. My gaming rig is ethernet wired into the router. All is fine. I'm not a hardcore gamer. Response times on rig are as expected. Pretty fast.
My phone is wireless connected to my mifi router. Again. Very fast response times. No issues.
My laptop however wirelessly connected to the mifi router has horrific response times. I've done speed tests and ping is very high. But the strange thing is download speeds are fine. I can stream and download stuff as normal. But the ping time on any new opening connection is slow.
I open a website and it takes ten seconds to do anything.
I took my laptop to a friend's house and connected to his WiFi. The issue dissapears. Ping time blistering fast. It appears to be a problem between my laptop and my mifi router only. I use my Nexus tablet on the mifi too and this is also blistering fast ping even in different room.
The laptop is a few feet from the mifi router in the same room. There really shouldn't be an issue. If I ethernet cable the laptop to the mifi router the problem dissapears and the ping is fast.
It started doing it recently. Maybe a windows update has screwed it up?
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card drivers on the laptop. I've reset the mifi router.
I've made sure there an no back ground downloads happening on the laptop. Windows updates are up to date and the laptop is very clean. No unnecessary programs running. It's windows 10. It's an i3 with SSD. No issues anywhere but connected to this mifi router.
At a loss what to do now. Any ideas?
Thanks x

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
exercise caution trying this: turn off windows defender ...

windows defender has many years of history causing issues when it refuses to pick up new internet activity/devices and provide the pop-up to allow programs access to the net. this causes connecting issues, but once connected you get your full speed as normal. which seems to be similar to the problem you have.

possible: windows defender is not providing the pop-up for your 'mifi' as a 'home/public' setting. - disable and try connecting to your mifi, re-enable after.