Slow restore of data from backup

ulfh

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I have a PC running Windows 10 64 bit pro. System has 32 GB memory. System disk is 1 TB SSD and data disk is RAID 5 using a Dell Raid controller, handeking 4 SATA disk of industrial quality. I use Acronis backup software, storing data on an external RAID set connected via USB 3.
I have about 600 MB on the system drive, and about 1.3 TB data.
Yesterday I performed full backup of the system, which took a couple of hours.
I then wanted to test how fast restore would be, and looking at the process, it will take at least 24 hours, possible much more. I am running online restore, so it's only the data disk that is restored.
I know restore is slower than backup, but are there anything I could do to make it faster or is this as expected? I'm thinking about maybe changing settings on the Raid controller for the data disk. I hope Acronis software is not the problem.

Best regards

Ulf Holt

Solution
Disk imagers always have been and always will be slow, especially with RAID configs.

I personally use RollBack Rx, used Comodo Time Machine before that. A lot faster than disk imaging and will resolve 90% of your problems, you can still use a disk imager but it helps reducing your downtime significantly. As an example, it took me 4 hours to restore my machine when I used Acronis now I'm down to 5-10 seconds with Rollback.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Disk imagers always have been and always will be slow, especially with RAID configs.

I personally use RollBack Rx, used Comodo Time Machine before that. A lot faster than disk imaging and will resolve 90% of your problems, you can still use a disk imager but it helps reducing your downtime significantly. As an example, it took me 4 hours to restore my machine when I used Acronis now I'm down to 5-10 seconds with Rollback.

Solution

ulfh

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013