Question Slow RTX 3090 + 10900k - low FPS, where's the bottleneck?

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Hi guys, hope you're all doing good.

I have a new system: Zotac 3090, i9 10900k, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB 3200 running OS off one 970 2tb and games off second 970 2tb.

I expected this system to be a real beast for gaming but it seems to be lacking somewhat. I'm playing mainly Warzone and am experiancing about 120-150fps. Online benchmarks of the same spec system are getting up to 180. I followed the guides to optimize my settings, enable ultimate windows power plan and various basics but to no avalil.

Anyone have any ideas, or is the Zotac 3090 just not very good? I know it's power limited, it's just the only one I could get given the supply issue.

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice!

Hvideo

Prominent
Oct 19, 2019
Was this a fresh install of Windows? Are all motherboard and gpu drivers up to date?

Yes this is a fresh install, PC arrived 2 days ago custom build from Overclockers. Drivers are up to date. One thing to note is that the motherboard is not a gaming board, could this cause issues? Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Yes this is a fresh install, PC arrived 2 days ago custom build from Overclockers. Drivers are up to date. One thing to note is that the motherboard is not a gaming board, could this cause issues? Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
The term gaming is marketing BS and means nothing. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Oct 26, 2020
Hi guys, hope you're all doing good.

I have a new system: Zotac 3090, i9 10900k, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB 3200 running OS off one 970 2tb and games off second 970 2tb.

I expected this system to be a real beast for gaming but it seems to be lacking somewhat. I'm playing mainly Warzone and am experiancing about 120-150fps. Online benchmarks of the same spec system are getting up to 180. I followed the guides to optimize my settings, enable ultimate windows power plan and various basics but to no avalil.

Anyone have any ideas, or is the Zotac 3090 just not very good? I know it's power limited, it's just the only one I could get given the supply issue.

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice!
There may be many issues like cooling, any bugs or any hardware failure

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
OK first off jealous of your system ,,, second fr theres one thing that stuck out to me ,,,, is your getting a high ram usage at idle according to the benchmark whats going on there? well im sure you cant feel it but something could be running in the background to slow things down a bit . also notice it says beside the ram usage its running at 2133 but a contredictory reading says its clocked at 3200mhz ,,,, id check make sure the rams running at the 3200mphz ,,,

Last edited:

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Honestly i don't fully trust prebuilts especially when using high end parts like that because there can be complications like a loose wire or something like that and you wouldn't really know which is why i would usually build my own system instead.

Reactions: AJNameS
OK first off jealous of your system ,,, second fr theres one thing that stuck out to me ,,,, is your getting a high ram usage at idle according to the benchmark whats going on there? well im sure you cant feel it but something could be running in the background to slow things down a bit . also notice it says beside the ram usage its running at 2133 but a contredictory reading says its clocked at 3200mhz ,,,, id check make sure the rams running at the 3200mphz ,,,
You brought a good explanation as to why.

OP please check your ram is running at it's rated speed, you can do so either in the BIOS or in task manager.

Nov 9, 2020
Hi I run the exact same system apart from being advised I needed a better psu. Was on a 750w so I upgraded to a 1200w rog thor. This didn't solve my issue. My system runs 120-160 when I stream and around 170-180 when I don't.

However I suffer huge fps drop around 50 fps when I'm flying in a chopper etc it sort of stutters for a second then returns to normal and then do it again. It looks like lag. I never had issues with a 5700xt or 2080 super.

I've since ordered another 3090 the rog strix one but there is a big queue.

Let me know if you have found any solutions.
I also run on pretty much max settings.

mpochylko

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hi I run the exact same system apart from being advised I needed a better psu. Was on a 750w so I upgraded to a 1200w rog thor. This didn't solve my issue. My system runs 120-160 when I stream and around 170-180 when I don't.

However I suffer huge fps drop around 50 fps when I'm flying in a chopper etc it sort of stutters for a second then returns to normal and then do it again. It looks like lag. I never had issues with a 5700xt or 2080 super.

I've since ordered another 3090 the rog strix one but there is a big queue.

Let me know if you have found any solutions.
I also run on pretty much max settings.

I run the same setup, ROG Strix 3090 and a 10900K at an average of about 5.1 across all cores. 64Gb or ram at 3600. 140 to 160 fps in warzone on an ultra wide 1440p 60hz screen. Not gonna lie, I expected 200fps+ but its not there. I run P3D and MSFS 20 at 40 to 60fps in a detailed city and 100 in the sky. Again, was hoping for better. Temps are typically 60 to 70 degrees when running. Settings aren't totally maxed out.

I have a feeling that the games just aren't fully optimized yet. I wonder if a 4k monitor and ray tracing would help?

I used cinebench and scored 18876 or something like that. When I use the userbenchmark it says it can't read my gpu for some reason. I have an 850W psu with custom cables, not sure why it doesn't read my gpu. Oddly, cinebench says the nVidia LOD setting prevents my gpu from getting a higher score.

Any ideas on what any of these slower fps rates could be from?

Apparently Zotac did skimp on the type/number of caps on the back of their RTX 3080, compared to the reference design. Not sure about the 3090 but I'd guess the same happened there. That's not to say that it's causing a particular issue, just something to note.

It seems that all of your primary components are under performing. Are you overclocking/overvolting anything? if so, reset to defaults for now.

Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) for at least 30 mins and upload the logfile somewhere we can grab it.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Apparently Zotac did skimp on the type/number of caps on the back of their RTX 3080, compared to the reference design. Not sure about the 3090 but I'd guess the same happened there. That's not to say that it's causing a particular issue, just something to note.

It seems that all of your primary components are under performing. Are you overclocking/overvolting anything? if so, reset to defaults for now.

Run HWiNFO64 (sensors only, logging on) for at least 30 mins and upload the logfile somewhere we can grab it.

That is something to consider. Nvidia released new drivers that reduce performance to stop the crash to desktop issues. The benchmarks you saw may have been released before the new drivers came out.