[SOLVED] Slow Samsung 970 Pro V-Nand SSD NVMe M.e

Sep 19, 2020
I recently built my pc and I noticed that it's a bit slow, I've narrowed the problem down to my m.2 SSD but have no idea how to fix it. the read and write speeds are horrible, can anyone help me? I've made sure the drivers are up to date.

unknown.png

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
Motherboard - Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard
Storage - Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Memory - G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
PSU- Corsair HX Platinum 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler - Noctua nh-d15 chromax.black 82.52 cfm cpu cooler

Update: This link leads to my completed build on pcpartpicker ------ https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WHDvL2

Last edited:
Solution
IMO you should stick with Samsung Magician benchmarks until your issue is solved, because it makes comparison with other Samsung SSD owners easier -at the end, changing benchmark software won't make SSD faster. I have checked your Mo-bo manual and yes, I agree: nowadays they only tell what options are there, without saying when/why to use them.
Anyway, I would check M.2_1 Link Mode (that's the slot you should use for your primary SSD), which is mentioned on page 3-17 in manual. That is, if now is in Auto setting, I would try with GEN 3 -I assume PCIe 3.0 (speed) is meant. And opposite: if you currently have any other GEN setting there, I would try with Auto (or GEN 3).
I have no further idea at the moment and I hope you'll made it...
These values are very low indeed. I have same SSD (it's 512GB) which is used on X470 board (is PCIe3.0 only) + Ryzen7 3700X and I get:
Seq. R/W: 3571/2338
Rand.IOPS: 373046/360839
Your results are just slightly better than SATA speed... Is just an idea, but are you sure you're running SSD in NVMe mode?

Sep 19, 2020
I'm not sure if it's NVMe mode, I went through the bios and it seemed to be but I was looking to see if I could change anything to say NVMe, and no change was made. I'm very new to this so I'm working off of the manual.

CrystalDiskInfo Results - View: https://imgur.com/a/27Coy46

Crystal DiskMark Results - View: https://imgur.com/a/Go7etz5

I found my manual online and have been keyword searching it - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/.../E15393_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf

Last edited:
IMO you should stick with Samsung Magician benchmarks until your issue is solved, because it makes comparison with other Samsung SSD owners easier -at the end, changing benchmark software won't make SSD faster. I have checked your Mo-bo manual and yes, I agree: nowadays they only tell what options are there, without saying when/why to use them.
Anyway, I would check M.2_1 Link Mode (that's the slot you should use for your primary SSD), which is mentioned on page 3-17 in manual. That is, if now is in Auto setting, I would try with GEN 3 -I assume PCIe 3.0 (speed) is meant. And opposite: if you currently have any other GEN setting there, I would try with Auto (or GEN 3).
I have no further idea at the moment and I hope you'll made it... 970PRO is a darn good SSD.

Reactions: Makoto1650
Solution
Sep 19, 2020
I have no further idea at the moment and I hope you'll made it... 970PRO is a darn good SSD.

I called Samsung support and they told me it was probably a bandwidth sharing issue, so I moved the SSD and the graphics card and now the reading's skyrocketed. Thank you everyone for your help!!!

TRENDING THREADS