Question slow shutdown since 20H2

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am fairly sure this only started happening in the last week or so. After I updated to 20H2.

Recently if i shut PC down, steam servers would hold up the shutdown process and show up after the circle at shutdown, but PC would close after a few seconds anyway. So I just stopped Steam loading with windows.
Problem solved?

But I had a feeling there was another program that would show instead.

And I was right, a program called "Program manager" shows up in its place.

After a little digging on Google I found it was related to Logitech devices (Setpoint), other people have reported the same behaviour.
I have G Hub installed as its used for changing colour schemes on my G910 keyboard.

If I close it before shutdown the error doesn't happen.
So I thought, I will uninstall it as colours still work without software installed.
restart after uninstalling... program manager stalls shutdown? wait what...

I restarted twice after removing it, so it shouldn't have been loaded anywhere?

So if I close it at shutdown error doesn't happen but if I don't have it installed at all it happens...
I have reinstalled it since as I figured it may have been a bad install the first time. It updated itself the same day I updated win 10.

It could also be a windows problem as none of this happened before the update.

current PC - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sWvJ6R

this isn't a hardware problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: xenthia

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
I am fairly sure this only started happening in the last week or so. After I updated to 20H2.

Recently if i shut PC down, steam servers would hold up the shutdown process and show up after the circle at shutdown, but PC would close after a few seconds anyway. So I just stopped Steam loading with windows.
Problem solved?

But I had a feeling there was another program that would show instead.

And I was right, a program called "Program manager" shows up in its place.

After a little digging on Google I found it was related to Logitech devices (Setpoint), other people have reported the same behaviour.
I have G Hub installed as its used for changing colour schemes on my G910 keyboard.

If I close it before shutdown the error doesn't happen.
So I thought, I will uninstall it as colours still work without software installed.
restart after uninstalling... program manager stalls shutdown? wait what...

I restarted twice after removing it, so it shouldn't have been loaded anywhere?

So if I close it at shutdown error doesn't happen but if I don't have it installed at all it happens...
I have reinstalled it since as I figured it may have been a bad install the first time. It updated itself the same day I updated win 10.

It could also be a windows problem as none of this happened before the update.

current PC - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sWvJ6R

this isn't a hardware problem.
Hi there. I mean I know you are a respected moderator, and a win 10 master but have you perhaps taken a look at the shutdown process using the logging and reporting features of windows 10 and also why not remove all things 'Logitech related" I mean you might have uninstalled the software but the drivers are perhaps still there and loaded into memory either after startup or during shutdown.

You probably might have other Logitech devices that their drivers you need, but this particular one you can get rid of.

Colif

Win 11 Master
curious, if i close it and restart PC, the error happens.
If I close it and shut PC down, it doesn't happen.
wonder if its a scheduled task or something.

I have fast start-up off as I use an NVME and it won't help.

I had already tried SFC /scannow before I saw this page - https://windows101tricks.com/app-pr...un the build in,it and run the Troubleshooter.

The power troubleshooter just changed my screen time out time and how long before pc goes to sleep. Seems CPU minimum was too high as well? Win 10 has no real idea how fast my CPU is anyway.

Windows update says I am at latest.

paging @gardenman any ideas?

@xenthia only one Logitech device. I sort of assumed if you uninstall G Hub it removes the drivers. I will have to look at that.
yes, I should look at logging since I have suggested it two other people recently :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
shutdown logs didn't help a great deal.
uninstalling g hub should remove the drivers but it does seem to leave profile info behind

nothing obvious in task scheduler.
nothing showing in reliability monitor
nothing showing in System Infor/Software components/windows error reporting that seems related. only Icue crashing
windows doesn't see a problem

ran dism/restore health, it found nothing wrong as usual

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
After a bit of reading, I don't believe Program Manager has anything to do with your issue. Apparently, "Program Manager" is used as the classname for Windows Explorer windows. Classname is one of those programming terms that you don't need to know much about, but lets just say it identifies Explorer windows from other types of windows.
Source: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/how-to-fix-program-manager-preventing-shut-down.68697/

Also, other people have had this issue without having Logitech software installed. Source: https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...me-clean-about-program-manager-in-win10.7753/

So forget "Program Manager", it's just Windows Explorer that is being blamed because it has a Window open (the desktop + others) when you close Windows out.

The issue still could be Logitech, or even NVIDIA as I have read on other sites. Try the clean boot. If it doesn't work, uninstall (completely) the driver of 1 or the other and do more testing. You can also use AutoRuns if needed.

No good resolution here:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/155920-program-manager-running-shutdown.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
it happened this morning even after closing Logitech at shutdown so I figured I couldn't win. I wonder if it would happen if you have fast startup turned on. I won't try now as we expecting bad weather next 3 days again so PC will likely be unplugged.

I just let it go, if its part of windows causing it, a patch will fix it eventually.

I could always try a repair install.

TRENDING THREADS