[SOLVED] Slow SMB speed at 30MB/sec over WiFi windows 7.

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
hello i am getting around 30MB/sec transfer speed on win7,
my system is: i5 4460, 16gb ram ddr3, 1650 super gpu,
SMB v1, diabled: DWORD and putting 0 in it disable smbv1
enabled smb2 using DWORD. Now is this how one uses smb v2 in win7 ?
i checked on ssd approx. getting 500MB/sec transfer up and down using crystal disk.

1. I am using Samsung SSD 860 evo and transferring data over WiFi to pixel 4a ( connected to ASUS router 59U at 866Mbps speed over WIFI ). I tried with smaller files, bundled files, result is same.
  2. SSD is on my PC which has gigabit lan port connected to gigabit lan on ASUS router.
View: https://imgur.com/a/FM7RHg8

3. My LAN drivers from realtek are some 2014, i don't know where to get latest one, on win update it shows they are updated.
View: https://imgur.com/a/bh5LrL5

4. i don't have option to check over lan, over another system at the moment.

i am expecting about 100MB/sec speeds atleast ?
ty

Last edited:
Solution
The Apple TV is great for playing 4k HDR Blu-Rays specifically for one paid APP called Infuse(https://firecore.com/). If you have an iPhone or iPAD, you can try the program out on the app store and play your movies from there. It plays everything I throw at it. Many people that have problems play HDR movies with plex will import their plex server into Infuse because it plays much better on Infuse without the need to transcode.

The only issue with Apple TV is that there's no Dolby Atmos passthrough from your blu-ray rips. It will only transcode the Atmos to LCPM digital. Which still works very well, it's just not true Atmos. AppleTV does have Dolby Atmos with approved apps like Netflix.

If you're buying an Apple TV...
So let me get this straight, you are copying from your PC(SSD) to an Android Phone over wifi?

If that's correct, feel lucky to get 30MB/s. SMB isn't native to Android, they added in support but SMB has always been slow. If you want faster transfer speeds, FTP may be faster.

Even then, with a 2x2 antenna on your phone, you can probably expect somewhere around 50-60MB/s to be the top transfer speed. You will never achieve your full wifi connection speed(866mbps). Wifi is a half-duplex protocol so the IP layer throughput will be 60% of the link speed right off the bat. That's excluding other issues like distance, signal strength, interference etc..... Typical wifi throughput is about 50% of the link speed.

Reactions: Krotow and anant024

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
ya you got right from PC SSD connected to sata 3 to android over WiFi 5G. i don't get 50/60MB/sec tried it multiple times with only phone connected to WiFi and standing right next to it for testing purpose.. it maxing out at 30/35MB/sec

PS: Off topic: how did i get 18k trophy points ? what did i do? :p

ya you got right from PC SSD connected to sata 3 to android over WiFi 5G. i don't get 50/60MB/sec tried it multiple times with only phone connected to WiFi and standing right next to it for testing purpose.. it maxing out at 30/35MB/sec
You won't get 50-60MB/s with SMB. I'm saying, it might be possible to get that with FTP. 50-60MB/s would be max theoretical. You likely won't achieve that on an Android Phone.

If you tried PC(LAN) to PC(Wifi), you could get 50-60MB/s with SMB.

Reactions: anant024

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
1. Is there anyways how to find out which lan model number i am using and if anyone can point me if there is any updated drivers for this? as i am not sure about it, i don't see any info if i go in properties and drivers were last updated in 2014. my mobo is Gigabyte B85M D3H

on bellow link i see updated version but i don't know if its the one i am using..not sure !
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693291650) version: 7.138

date: 2021/03/25

2.How much WiFi stream do i need to play 4k bluray file hevc x265, 10bit hdr or non hdr is 20MB to 25/sec good enough for it if i get it constantly ? putting direct lan is not option..no do i want to, in this location.

You won't get 50-60MB/s with SMB. I'm saying, it might be possible to get that with FTP. 50-60MB/s would be max theoretical. You likely won't achieve that on an Android Phone.

If you tried PC(LAN) to PC(Wifi), you could get 50-60MB/s with SMB.
oh ok ty
Because you've been a member since 2013.
your seniority is proof of your authority. You are an Ancient member and been with us for 7 years. Congratulations!
oh cool ty, its a pleasure to be on the forum and interact with all you amazing people :)

Last edited:
1. Is there anyways how to find out which lan model number i am using and if anyone can point me if there is any updated drivers for this? as i am not sure about it, i don't see any info if i go in properties and drivers were last updated in 2014. my mobo is Gigabyte B85M D3H

on bellow link i see updated version but i don't know if its the one i am using..not sure !
https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SId:1152921505693291650) version: 7.138

date: 2021/03/25

2.How much WiFi stream do i need to play 4k bluray file hevc x265, 10bit hdr or non hdr is 20MB to 25/sec good enough for it if i get it constantly ? putting direct lan is not option..no do i want to, in this location.

oh ok ty

oh cool ty, its a pleasure to be on the forum and interact with all you amazing people :)

Most direct RIP untranscoded blu ray movies are about 40-60mbps or somewhere around 40-50GB total file size. Let's just say 60GB to make a worst case scenario and make the math easier. That's 60GB divided by 120minute movie. So that's 30GB per hour. 30 GB divided by 60 minutes is 0.5GB per minute, or 500MB per minute. Divide that by 60 seconds and that's about 8.3MB/s or 66mbps. So you don't really need super fast wifi to play 4k movies. Given the wifi overhead though, since wifi is half duplex, you need at least a good 130mbps of connection to maintain 66mbps of bandwidth. So wireless N likely won't cut it, but you need decent wireless AC speed.

I play blu ray 4k on my Apple TV over wifi. My Apple TV can maintain a good 300-400mbps over wireless AC across the room. I get zero stutters or lag.

Reactions: anant024

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
haha...thanks :) that was really awesome explanation :)

i was actually just having a look at apple tv, does it support chromecast ?
and my 1st option was probably gonna be nvedia shield pro, apparently nvedia shield pro not available here. :/

My 2nd option would have been new chromecast launch by google tv but i dropped the idea as i dont think it might be able to play bluray hevc 10bit files..might stutter/lag.

The fire stick 2nd gen i got, plays mp4 fine but not able to play current hevc or big mkv bluray files..

Last edited:
The Apple TV is great for playing 4k HDR Blu-Rays specifically for one paid APP called Infuse(https://firecore.com/). If you have an iPhone or iPAD, you can try the program out on the app store and play your movies from there. It plays everything I throw at it. Many people that have problems play HDR movies with plex will import their plex server into Infuse because it plays much better on Infuse without the need to transcode.

The only issue with Apple TV is that there's no Dolby Atmos passthrough from your blu-ray rips. It will only transcode the Atmos to LCPM digital. Which still works very well, it's just not true Atmos. AppleTV does have Dolby Atmos with approved apps like Netflix.

If you're buying an Apple TV now, just wait a few weeks. They just announced the new version which you can start pre-ordering on April 30th, and will start shipping at the end of May.

With the Shield you have to use Plex or Kodi. What's nice about the shield is that it can act as a low wattage Plex server, but the built-in Nvidia hardware allows it to do transcoding to other devices in your home like the firetv. You can't transcode 4K HDR movies though, just 1080p.

Chromecast is garbage, I'd rather just use a remote control, why do I need to cast everything?

Solution