[SOLVED] Slow speed test on only one PC

Jul 7, 2020
I have two PC's that are connected via LAN to my AT&T Router. I have gigabit internet via AT&T. My newer PC appears to be speed capped at 200mb up and down while my older PC gets close to full speed, 890 down 910 up.

Slower PC is on Windows 10
Fast PC is on Windows 7

I have tried the following:
*Checked for new drivers - Bios / LAN / Windows Update
*Tried a new ethernet cable
*Tried a different port on the router
*Installed the NIC from the fast PC into the slow PC (received same 200 capped speed result).

I spent some time researching the issue and found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...et-speed/b034b04b-564b-492f-be27-7f1ee1f01b6a

Mine was disabled and I followed the instructions and set it to Normal. This increased my speed, I am now getting around 500-700 up and down but I can still not get the full speed.

Prior to making that change I tried running the speed test with a different browser (Firefox) and was able to get a near max download but slow upload speed). Chrome would give me the 200 / 200 cap no matter what.

Anyone have any ideas what I could try? I almost feel like there is still a setting I am missing or something has changed.

When I first built the PC I would get full max speeds with the speed test.

Both of the PC's are running INTEL NIC's - The Slow PC is onboard my ASUS motherboard.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
On the slow (Windows 10 PC) :

-- Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. Wired or wireless - not both at the same time.

-- Verify that Speed and Duplex are set to "Auto" on the network adapter.

-- Run "ipconfig /flushdns" via the Command Prompt

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-dns-cache-817514

-- Try running the built-in network troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

-- Run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt as another way to fix possibly corrupted files.

-- Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use just one at time. Determine what is running that may be consuming resources and to what extent (%).

Ralston18

Titan
On the slow (Windows 10 PC) :

-- Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled. Wired or wireless - not both at the same time.

-- Verify that Speed and Duplex are set to "Auto" on the network adapter.

-- Run "ipconfig /flushdns" via the Command Prompt

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-dns-cache-817514

-- Try running the built-in network troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

-- Run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt as another way to fix possibly corrupted files.

-- Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use just one at time. Determine what is running that may be consuming resources and to what extent (%).

Solution
Jul 7, 2020
Thank you, trying those now!

I was able to check the autotune last night, found that in a google search and that did help with the issue, the speeds did increase, they are still not where they should be, I was hoping it would be something easy lol..