Question Slow speed with EA-N66 ASUS Wireless Ethernet Adapter/Extender ?

Dec 2, 2020
I did some testing with this ASUS EA-N66 Ethernet Adapter/Extender device, in both Ethernet Adapter and Extender modes.

Let me explain that I have two cell phones. One is a wifi-only cell phone, meaning it's not connected to cellular service. Second phone is the cellular-connected cell phone that I also use as my wifi hotspot for my wifi cell phone to connects to.

First off, to establish two baseline tests:

1) I connected my wifi cell phone to my home's router via wifi and got around avg 20 Mbps download speed which is good.

2) I connected my wifi cell phone to my cellular phone's hotspot and got around avg of 7 Mbps download speed which is good for this phone.

Ethernet Adapter mode
Set up my EA-N66 as Ethernet Adapter by connecting to my laptop via ethernet cable then connected home's router wirelessly, ran speed test, and got around same 20 Mbps speed which is good.

Extender mode
Set up my EA-N66 in Extender mode and connected to my home router. Connected my wifi cell phone to EA-N66 Extender network, ran speedtest, got same 20 Mbps.

My last test is where I connected the EA-N66 Extender to my cellular phone's wifi hotspot. Connected my wifi cell phone to EA-N66 Extender, ran speedtest and only got around 0.45 Mbps which I thought was very strange.

Do any of you folks know any idea why would the speedtest be so terrible when I connected the EA-N66 Extender to cellular cell phone's hotspot but yet the speed was fantastic when I connected the EA-N66 to my home router's wifi? I'm stumped on this.

Your help/insight would be very much appreciated as I'd really like to expand my cellular cell phone's hotspot further when I'm at my 2 acres property. I'd like to plug in my EA-N66 inside my truck to my inverter to put the signal out further while only carrying my wifi cell phone or my iPad if needed.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS