[SOLVED] Slow speed with new router and WiFi extender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debgram

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I just bought the RE7000 Linksys extender and the Linksys EA8100 router. I'm not getting the advertised speeds on my Samsung S21 Ultra phone and when I connect to the extender it drops speed. I refuse to call Linksys tech because the last 4 times I contacted them they have foreign people and I can't understand a damn thing they are saying. One told me that the speed of the router would override the extender. The router is 2.6 Gbps and the extender is 1.9. The highest I get on the 2.4 is 86-175 through the extender, I get 156-175 on the 2.4 without the extender. On the 5 I get 866 Mbps through the router and get this it shows 756 then drops to 260 Mbps. Something isn't right and I spent 5-6 hours trying to figure it out. The reason I got the extender was that we plan on getting security cameras and need the wi fi to reach the garage. At this rate, it's not going to happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Can you provide some details about your network configuration?
Specifically is the extender connected to the main router using an ethernet cable LAN to LAN, did you disable DHCP on the extender (if it has DHCP capability), and assign it a static address in the main router network range but outside the main router DHCP assignment range?

Also when setting up the wireless radios, I would give them different names so you can direct the device which radio to use, current consumer routers/extenders lack 802.11 r, k,and v so they do not hand off devices very well. Also, for 2.4 GHz insure that your channel choices are different selecting from the non-overlapping 1, 6, and 11.

edit: and yeah, I hear you on tech support. Even if you get...

RealBeast

Titan
Can you provide some details about your network configuration?
Specifically is the extender connected to the main router using an ethernet cable LAN to LAN, did you disable DHCP on the extender (if it has DHCP capability), and assign it a static address in the main router network range but outside the main router DHCP assignment range?

Also when setting up the wireless radios, I would give them different names so you can direct the device which radio to use, current consumer routers/extenders lack 802.11 r, k,and v so they do not hand off devices very well. Also, for 2.4 GHz insure that your channel choices are different selecting from the non-overlapping 1, 6, and 11.

edit: and yeah, I hear you on tech support. Even if you get bumped up to an engineer they are rarely helpful and I've told them the answer many times after I figured it out myself.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.