Question Slow Speeds with ASUS Router

Feb 24, 2024
I have an ASUS RT-AX5400 router, and just yesterday, I got fiber installed. The speed from the fiber should be around 1200 Mbps. On the ASUS admin web interface under Adaptive QoS, Internet Speed, it is detecting 900+ Mbps for both upload and download.

I also have 2 other ASUS routers in AiMesh Mode.

Now, my problem is that all my devices are only testing around 150 Mbps. About 5 months ago, I had cable modem service and was getting 300 Mbps to all the devices, even when hardwired to the computer via the AiMesh router.

QoS is turned off, and both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz use different SSIDs.

How can I make this faster?

You want to test on ethernet directly plugged into the main router. I suspect it will get the same 900+mbps the router does.
You do not want to use any form of QoS when you have a high speed internet. I would reset the router and only set the wifi and admin passwords.
There are a number of features that will disable a hardware nat accelerator if you attempt to use them.

If you are getting good speeds on ethernet directly to the router then that is not the issue.

Note ethernet to any remote mesh unit is still wifi.

Wifi has so many things involved. A very important thing is your end devices are 1/2 the connection. It does not matter if you have a fancy router if the end device does not support the feature. Key here is wifi6 to get any chance to get say 600mbps need to use 160mhz radio channels. Most end devices only support 80mhz.

If you are using the same exact router I am not sure why it would be different between cable and fiber.

If this is a different router or maybe it just rebooted. The router could be on different radio channels than the old one.

Make sure your end devices are connecting to the 5g radio.

Also do all your testing to start with only the main router with no mesh/repeater units. Any mesh system will greatly reduce your speed.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Your router doesn't have a 2.5Gbps WAN port. You probably also do not own a PC with 2.5Gbps NIC.

For other wifi devices, what are their specs? How far are they from wifi router?

Last edited: