Question Slow speeds with Ethernet.

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
I recently had some issues with my ethernet cable not connecting to the internet. After messing around updating drivers etc it has started to work again.

However, when doing a quick internet speed test I am getting:

6mbps download
9.4mbps upload.

This seems odd because usually, even on WiFi I am getting at least 100mbps upload and around 30mbps upload.

Any idea as to why it's suddenly gone this slow?

Thanks

Ethernet is pretty simple and nothing has changed in many years so you seldom see software the cause.

The most common cause is a bad cable. All it takes it for one of wires inside on of end plugs to become slightly loose internally. You can also actually crack the wires themselves but not completely break them. Unless the cable is in the wall or very long it is just simpler to buy a new cable. Always nice to have a spare around anyway.

The large problem is there are massive amounts of fake cable being sold because of the price of copper metal used in ethernet cables. The most common fake cable are those flat ones, do not buy flat ethernet cables.

You need nothing special. It only has to be cat5e, bigger number means nothing unless you have 10gbit ports. It needs to be pure copper wire with wire size 22-24awg. If you do not see this information clearly stated buy the cable some place else.

Note if you were complaining about the port only running say 200 or 300mbps rather than gigabit speed there are software issues that can cause that but extremely slow like you have is likely a hardware issue.