Question Slow SSD Speed on Asus Z390i

Jun 8, 2019
Hello guys,

I recently bought the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS and inserted it in the M2_1 port of my motherboard, Asus Z390i and I also installed the correct Samsung drivers (Samsung NVME Driver and Samsung Magician). The SSD works on PCIE Gen 3 x 2 and I am receiving half the speed I am suppose to get, Read: 1700Mb/s, Write: 1700Mb/s.

My question is: How do I change the m2_1 port to PCIE Gen 3 x 4 ?

I have looked into the bios but no hope..

Can you guys help me solve this problem please?

there are indeed BIOS settings to allow for shared usage with SATA ports, or, to disable SATA ports (often ports 1,2 share access with one M.2 port and ports 5,6 share access with the other M.2 port) and allow X4 lanes usage...

You merely have to find those BIOS settings.... :)

Jun 8, 2019
try the 2nd m.2 drive? would return the motherboard if it is not performing
I have tried the second M2 port which is at the back of the board and surprisingly it is working on the expected PCIe Gen 3 x 4 lanes. I am receiving my full 3500Mb/s on read and write speeds :D. Thank you for your suggestion.

there are indeed BIOS settings to allow for shared usage with SATA ports, or, to disable SATA ports (often ports 1,2 share access with one M.2 port and ports 5,6 share access with the other M.2 port) and allow X4 lanes usage...

I have searched the whole bios xD still no setting to set the first M2 port on PCIe Gen 3 x 4.

Jun 8, 2019

Hey man,

I have tried disabling all SATA ports and now the first M2 port (front one) is working in PCIe Gen 3 x 4! Thank you very much bro :D:D

I find it odd that this has not been mentioned anywhere in the manual nor in ASUS's website :confused_old: