[SOLVED] Slow SSD speeds for asus P6T with fresh install of windows 10 (Drivers?)

smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I did a fresh install of windows recently and noticed that my sata speeds are slower. I remember I downloaded some drivers before which improved the speed from being able to max download at 50MB to 100MB/s on steam but I forgot what I did. I installed the latest chipset drivers from asus (windows 7 64bit) and installed the latest realtek ethernet driver for my board. On speedtest I get 906mpbs. What do I update?

Solution
Most individual sites won't transfer files as fast as a speedtest site. Steam is a highly trafficked site that regularly transfers large amounts of data, so it's speed may vary depending on load. Anyway, if your network drivers are up to date there's nothing more you need to do.
Most individual sites won't transfer files as fast as a speedtest site. Steam is a highly trafficked site that regularly transfers large amounts of data, so it's speed may vary depending on load. Anyway, if your network drivers are up to date there's nothing more you need to do.

Solution

smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012

I'll test download from other servers then, I guess it could be the steam summer sale right now.
SSD performance has nothing to do with speed when downloading from "the internet".

Good to know

smithoe

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Epic games launcher downloads at 100MB/s so my speeds seem to normal. This old x58 machine has been giving me a headache these past few days after I decided to do a fresh install of windows 10.