Question Slow SSD speeds in userbenchmark. Can you help me ?

Mar 13, 2019
Hey All,

Recently I've build a new gaming PC (Specs found below) and it works fine, except for the fact that I get slow SSD speeds with my Kingston M2 A1000 240GB and Kingston A400 SSD 480GB in userbenchmark.
The weird thing is though that when I run a bench in Crystaldisk it does give fine read and write speeds (see screenshots in the attachment) .

I allready updated all motherboard drivers, checked the kingston ssd manager for firmware updates but it doesn't seem to do the trick.
I also switched on the "Optimize drives" service in Windows 10 manually, also didn't do the trick.
Changed the Sata cable as well just to be sure, but same results.

The thing is I don't really know on which benchmark to believe now to be honest.
Do you guys maybe know what might be causing the problem ?

Pc Specs:
MB: MSI Z370-A PRO
Proc: Intel Core i5-8600K @4,2ghz
Mem: TEAMGROUP-UD4-2400 2x8GB
Video: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
SSD: Kingston A1000 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB (Boot disk)
Kingston A400 480GB

Thnx in advance!

userbenchssd.JPG.534312051d98df9ade3f5eb4db218d80.JPG

694339999_Dbenchcryst.JPG.d1b4d15642bf3cfff87d3a5587802b8a.JPG

1135305316_Cbenchcryst.JPG.613ad566ad2b0703354805865978f0ac.JPG

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
and it works fine

You just solved your own problem!

Don't fix what isn't broken. Just because a benchmark is slower than you expect, doesn't really mean anything. If you start getting problems in actual applications, then maybe look into it.

These are the same benchmarks that show how incredible NVMe is - which whilst it is "technically" - in real applications, you'll rarely see a significant difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker
I also switched on the "Optimize drives" service in Windows 10 manually, also didn't do the trick.
"Optimize drives" is referring to defragmenting, which should definitely not be turned on for an SSD, as it will wear them out by needlessly writing to them while doing nothing for performance. So make make sure "optimization" is not being performed on your SSDs.

Userbenchmark is lame , it means NOTHING.
Userbench is a great tool for providing indications of where there might be some performance issue with a PC, and also for providing rough comparisons between the capabilities of different pieces of hardware that might not normally be tested against one another in a typical review. More often than not, if a piece of hardware is getting reported as performing below expectations, it's indicative of some issue being present.

Did you try running the benchmark more than once though, and where the results similar every time? Also, did you close and applications running in the background first? I agree that if performance seems to be fine, then it's probably not a big concern though.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
"Optimize drives" is referring to defragmenting, which should definitely not be turned on for an SSD, as it will wear them out by needlessly writing to them while doing nothing for performance. So make make sure "optimization" is not being performed on your SSDs.
I believe Optimize Drives in Win10 refers to TRIM when the drive in question is an SSD.

I believe Optimize Drives in Win10 refers to TRIM when the drive in question is an SSD.
Yeah, that seems to be the case, though I believe Windows 10 should automatically select proper settings for SSDs on its own. I don't think you should need to manually enable trim, and the way they said it makes it sound like they were enabling a service that Windows didn't have enabled.